Chapter One

Summer was shit, per usual. In all honesty, I don't know why I even allow myself to debate the possibility of it not being a shitshow.

Kings Cross is always a relieving sight, the first sign of ten months without having to be at home for a single second. The moment it comes into view I feel my shoulders relax.

Platforms nine and ten are absolutely brimming with people, the majority being muggles. Mothers pushing colourful prams with crying children inside and older men and women with decorated salt and peppered hair briskly move past me, rushing to catch the last train to their corporate jobs. The others I recognise, other witches and wizards.

"Why do you have to walk so fucking fast?" Mattheo complains beside me. Having a twin has its pros and cons, being with them 24/7 happens to fall under both of those categories.

"I can always go faster," I say to him, picking up my pace, much to his dismay.

The arched brick wall is just a few steps ahead of us, I grip my hands tightly around my trolley, this part is always the worst. Closing my eyes shut, I run forward into the brick, instantly transported to platform nine and three quarters. I cough while fanning away the billowing engine smoke from my face as it stings my eyes. Mattheo comes out the wall right after me, nearly slamming his trolley into the backs of my legs. Once the smoke clears, my vision returns and I can immediately see two figures dashing toward me, their ankle-length coats flowing behind them.

Before I can even open my mouth to greet him, Lionel's body slams directly against mine, almost causing both of us to fall to the floor. He's known to hug tightly, making it slightly difficult to breathe. He sighs into my neck, holding me off the floor, squeezing me tightly once more before allowing me to get back on solid ground. "Damn Lionel, let me at least say hi first," I chuckle after taking a deep breath.

"Hey Cella," he says, smiling at me from ear-to-ear.

Lionel steps aside to allow the second person to say hi to me, Blaise Zabini. "Cella! Fuck, I missed you." He embraces me as well, admittedly gentler than Lionel. When we let go, he takes a step back and for a moment I think he's looking me up and down. Though, I ignore the possibility of that being the case.

"I missed you both as well. Mum was a nightmare as always, we couldn't get away from her fast enough," I add a slight laugh after the last word, my way of making sure my problems stay my own. One can only share so much with their friends before they get too concerned for my liking. It's easier to just keep it all in.

"Did you guys forget about me?" Mattheo complains behind me.

"Of course not, mate," Lionel goes behind me and gives him a hug as well.

"Cella's right, she was particularly nightmarish this year."

Lionel fixes his coat, having gotten rumpled from our embraces, a deep green which I can't say I'm surprised he's chosen. "Well, I for one would love to continue this conversation, I love when you talk shit."

"Talking shit happens to be my specialty," Mattheo smirks at him.

"We need to get these in the luggage compartment first." My trolley is packed full. I have three black trunks, sadly engraved with the Black family emblem, a crossover bag, and my owl, a black bird named Vila with a pecking problem.

Vila is shorthand for Vilis, fuck you in Latin. Suffice to say mother would be unhappy if she figured that one out. But if she can treat me like rubbish, then I will certainly indulge in these small acts of rebellion, if only for personal satisfaction.

I grab my bag off the top of the trolley and sling it across my body, getting ready to move to the storage cart before Blaise says, "No worries," while slightly pushing himself in front of me to push my trolley instead. "I'll get it, you two head on and get our compartment settled."