Mother Superior

"Do you need me to pack you some lunch?" Mum asks, standing before me with her hands on my shoulders.

"No, she doesn't," Lilith shouts from the living room while she searches for her missing Calculus textbook, as Christian said.

"I'll be okay, Mum," I assured her with a genuine smile. She has been worried about my sudden change of environment, mostly because I've been attending an all-girls religious school and now I'm entering the real world of mixed genders.

Smiling, she kisses my cheeks and skeptically narrows her eyes, contemplating whether I am being honest or insincere. "Mum, seriously, I'll be okay." I giggle.

Mum and Christian are already dressed, ready for work. Christian is a successful engineer, and Mum is a doctor who works in a private hospital in Summerlin.

"I'm gonna take it from here. I'd say I'll be her guardian angel, but she's a grown-ass sophomore," Lilith says, tugging on my arm as we walk backward toward the door. I can see she has found her missing book.

Christian clears his throat and shoots Lilith a warning glare while Mum blushes. "Sorry for the language." Lilith grimaces and turns us around after slamming the entrance door.

"We have to stop by Falling Water to pick up Quinn. Her car is still at the mechanics," Lilith informs me as we leave the guard gate in the hills.

"So, this is your car?" I asked her, something I'd been meaning to ask for a while.

She connects her phone to the car and plays one of my favorite songs by a girl band. With a sigh, she replies, "It was an early birthday present, ta-da."

"Are you even legally old enough?" I firmly asked.

"Why are you so obsessed with legal stuff?" She fires back.

"Because that's what's right," I answered her silly question with confusion.

"You don't want to say that at school. Avoid it by all means. It's social life destruction," she laughs while I stare at her, unable to believe it. "I'm serious, Ava, don't." She faces me with a stern expression after parking by the side of a residential street. Before I could protest, the back door opened.

"Hey, bitch," a piercing voice says behind me, causing me to turn and find a slim teenage girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Yo, whore," Lilith replies.

Feeling uneasy about the situation, I turned to Lilith. "What? Your dad is going to..."

Her fake spluttering cough interrupts me, and she shoots me a murderous glance, preventing me from finishing my sentence. Lilith smiles back at Quinn, I assume. "This is my dad's fiancé's daughter, technically already my sister. Ava," Lilith introduces me.

"Hey, Ava, mind if I call you a hoe?" Quinn asks, and I promptly shake my head in disgust until another glare stops me.

With slumped shoulders, I smile weakly and nod. "Cool."

"It's sad that Zachary and Sofia broke up. I'm so worried about Embry because we all know where Sofia's target is," Quinn says.

"Oh, believe me, I will kill that fake psycho if she tries hitting on my brother. I'm rooting for Leibry all the way this semester," Lilith says.

"It's gonna be explosive, senior and junior, just like Mal and Allen last year. I can't even begin to imagine. Embry has been waiting for this her whole life. We have to support our girl before Sofia does," Quinn explains.

"Yeah, absolutely, because I can't imagine having a family dinner with that evil girl," Lilith groans.

I was completely unaware of their secret language, but I knew Leigh was involved in the plot, so I blurt out, "Or maybe you should let Leigh decide for himself."