Of Fireworks and Birthday Parties

The sun was high in the Shire, and festivities were getting underway. Your remaining two pies that hadn't been eagerly devoured by two hungry hobbits and yourself were put with the rest of the food and you decided to go for a walk. Grinning happily at the prospect of a good dance later, you trotted up towards Bag End, in search of a particular hobbit by the name of Frodo Baggins. Upon reaching the little green door that was so familiar to you, a voice called out.

"I have told you, I want no well wishes or distant relatives! Can you not read the sign on my gate!"

With a sigh, you opened the door and stuck your head inside.

"Sorry Bilbo, just looking for Frodo. He about?" You ask. Bilbo came around the corner.

"Ah, (Y/n). Good day. And no, I'm afraid. He's gone out to meet Gandalf before tonight."

"Oh, alright, thank you Bilbo and-"

He fixed you with a stern look.

"Don't say it."

You grin and began to retreat, only looking over your shoulder once to yell out.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Bilbo scowled and shook his head.

"Spending too much time with that Brandybuck..." He muttered, slowly spinning a band of gold in his pocket.

...

"Rosie!" You yelled, calling your friend away from the dancing for a few moments. The blonde saw you and walked over, cheeks pink from spinning. "Why don't you ask Mister Sam for a dance, eh?"

You pointed over to a table where Samwise Gamgee was sat, having a drink.

"Oh, oh I don't know..." Rosie blushed furiously and you grinned.

"Rosie, go on! I know you like him! Just ask! I know he'll say yes!"

"No, I-I'm just going to keep dancing..."

You sighed and patted her on the shoulder.

"One of these days, Rosie, one of these days."

Rosie giggled and shook her head, going back to join the dancing. Your eyes wandered back over to Sam, and you witnessed one of the best things you had seen that night.

Frodo had stopped his dancing to speak to Sam. Then, he had practically picked the larger hobbit up, and shoved him into Rosie Cotton as she danced past. After a little stumble, both had began to dance merrily.

Blinking in astonishment, you shut your jaw.
Frodo had gotten Sam and Rosie to dance before you.

That little... Baggins...
...

"...There haven't been any dragons in these parts for over three hundred years!"

Everyone screamed and dropped to the floor as the blazing crimson dragon soared over their heads. As it passed over the lake, it erupted into a shower of scarlet sparks, causing a series of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' from the crowd, you included.

Gandalf was over by the tent that the immense firework had come from. He was holding two wriggling hobbits by the ear, and you soon recognised the soot-covered faces.

Laughing, you strode over to the pair, who were stuck washing the dirty plates and mugs. You couldn't help but giggle at the way Pippin's curly hair was stuck up at funny angles all over his head, and how Merry had black dust all over himself.

"Quite a stunt with the dragon, boys."

Merry looked up and gave you dead eye.

"Aw, don't look like that!"

You moved you hands up to his face to move his lips into a smile. He pretended to bite you as Pippin flicked water at your (F/c) dress. You gasped at the coldness of the water.

"Pippin!" You shrieked, splashing water back across the large tub. The majority of this landed on Merry who, with a yell, threw the nearest bucket at you. Dodging, only one side managed to get completely soaking wet. Just as you were going to tip the largest tub over, Gandalf decided to walk past. As he saw your state, he coughed a little but carried on, mumbling.

You used a towel to dry off your arms as much as possible, before throwing it at Pippin, who chucked it at Merry, who flung it straight back to you. Smiling, you threw it onto the edge of the tub, before stretching and deciding to join the rest of the party again. Bilbo was stood on a wooden stage, apparently nearing the end of a speech.

"...I've put this off for too long..."

And, as if by magic, he was gone.

You blinked several times and rubbed your eyes, but every time you looked again, he was gone.

"WHAT was that?"

...
A/n: Hello! I'm sorry I didn't update when I said I would, I know, I'm terrible, I apologise! Anyway, please leave a comment, any suggestions are welcome. Love you all <3