CHAPTER 8

The next day morning, we were on our way bright and early with Moose sitting happily in the back seat with his mouth open and head hanging out the window. He loved riding, but he loved all of the scents and the occasional bug that he could catch in the wind even more.

"So just how are we supposed to administer this cure to Stephanie in the first place," I asked Norah, who looked back to wave at Celeste as we pulled out of the driveway.

"Well, since zombies don't drink water or usually even eat unless they are trying to kill a human. We're going to have to inject it into her."

"What," I burst out in shock. "How in the hell are we going to do that?"

"It won't be easy," Norah replied. "But we do have a plan."

"Ok, what is it?" I asked dubiously.

"We're going to throw a mesh net over her, and then while you and Travis hold her down, I'll inject her with the cure. This has to be done once a day for three days, so we're going to be there for a while."

"That still sounds dangerous, even with the mesh net." I protested.

"Anything involving zombies is always dangerous, but we'll also be wearing protective gear, so everything should be fine," Norah said soothingly. "Besides, I've already done it a couple of times before with no problems at all."

"So, you've done this before?" I questioned dubiously.

"Yes, a couple of times. And it was even done to me a few months ago."

Shocked, I stared at her in silence for a few moments, " wait, you were a zombie?"

"No, not exactly. I was infected, but Celeste administered the cure right at the moment of death. And as far as I know, I never actually turned," Norah replied quietly.

From the look on her face, I could tell that talking about it was bothering her, but I still had to ask. "Do you remember anything that happened after you were infected? What was it like?" Her gaze was haunted, and I instantly felt ashamed and wished that I could take the questions back.

"It was horrible," she said hollowly. "I wish more than anything that I could just forget it, but I can't."

"Oh no," I breathed in remorse. "I'm so sorry for being so nosy."

She attempted a half-hearted smile and took a deep breath, "It's ok; you didn't know."

"There will be no more awkward questions from this point on."

Norah managed a more sincere smile, "when I'm ready to talk, you'll be the first to know."

This helped me to feel a little better, but I still felt terrible about questioning her like that. Norah always seemed so calm and self-possed that I'd never dreamed she was hiding such a deep dark secret.

* * *

We arrived at Trevor's place early that afternoon when I received my first clue that something was wrong. As soon as we drove up a very nervous looking, Trevor immediately rushed out and started hurrying us indoors without wasting any time on introductions.

"Hey, hold on a minute, I need to walk Moose before we go inside," I protested, digging in my heels and refusing to budge.

Trevor grimaced, looking around nervously, "ok, but make it fast before they come back."

"What are you talking about?"

Trevor took a deep breath and agitatedly brushed back his hair, " It's the townspeople, they found out about Stephanie, and now they want to kill her."