Chapter 24: Jo

As our train pulled into Penn Station, I kicked Leo in the shins to wake him up, while Nico gently shook Bianca's shoulder. Once they were up and ready to go, the four of us piled out of the empty car, and we made our way to the surface.

        Once we all reached the crowded street level, we looked around in awe at the huge skyscrapers that surrounded us from every side. It was amazing how a tall building made of steel had the power to intimidate a person into feeling so insignificant in the world. It seemed like you would be able disappear off the face of the world, and not a soul would notice you were gone.

         “Okay… Anyone know how to get to the Empire State Building from here? I would look it up, but my phone is dead.” Bianca said, snapping me from my thoughts.

        Nico, Leo and I just shook our heads side to side while still staring up at the skyscrapers.

        “Same here,” I said.  

        After another minute, I finally escaped out of the spell of New York City. “Guys! Snap out of it!” I shouted. The three turned towards me. “We need to get down to business.”

         “Shut up and let us savor this moment while we can,” Bianca replied.

         “Haven’t you ever been to the city?”

        “No.” Bianca and Leo said in unison.

        I turned towards Nico, “You?”

        “Yeah, for a short time, but I mean that was a few years back and, well, everyone was kind of asleep, and I was fighting in a war.”

        Against all my will to scream ‘I know. I meant besides that,’ I gave him the best look of confusion that I could manage. “Huh?”

        “Long story.”

        I nodded. “Great, so how do we get to the Empire State Building from here?”

         “You heading to the Empire State building?” A man’s voice questioned from close behind me. Turning around, I saw a man holding a cardboard sign. He had knotty grayish brown hair down to his shoulders with a knitted hat on top his head. He wore wool fingerless gloves that didn’t match his hat. He was wearing several layers of coats and sweatshirts. I took a step back.

        “Uh… Yeah?”

        “I could take you there.” He offered, using his hand to gesture to a beat up cycle rickshaw.

        “Um… that’s okay. We were just going to walk, but thanks anyway.” With that, I turned around and shoved the others down the street, in the opposite direction of the creep.

        “Jo, that was a bit rude.” Bianca said.

        “And he was a bit creepy!” I countered.

         She huffed in annoyance. “Whatever.”

        “Guys…” Leo said as he stopped walking.

        “What now?” I asked ticked off.

        Nico shushed me, “Listen.”

        We listened closely. A growling noise was coming from behind us. The four of us slowly turned around. The rickshaw guy was standing in front of us with fangs sprouting from his mouth.

         “What the hell…?” I asked, backing up slowly.

        “What is that thing?” Bianca questioned.