Aragog

TW: this is the spider chapter and i talk about harry and ron throwing up a few times :)

//

The mood in the castle is quick to drop again after everyone finds out Hagrid and Dumbledore are gone. Harry and Ron are slightly optimistic up until Madam Pomfrey tells them that they aren't allowed to visit Hermione anymore. Ron has to physically drag Harry away from the hospital wing, otherwise he would've stood there all day in a silent protest against being unable to visit his petrified best friend.

Not for the first time since that night in Hagrid's hut, Harry wishes desperately that he hadn't let Hermione run off to the library right after he heard the voice again. He loves hanging out with Ron all day, don't get him wrong, but Hermione is also his best friend and he misses her. He'd be happy to have her at his side, nagging him about color coding his notes and going over them every night before bed because exams are drawing closer and closer, if only because it meant she'd be at his side again.

Dumbledore's last words stick in Harry's head but they don't repeat themselves as much as Hagrid's do. Follow the spiders. Ron is a lot less keen to continue thinking about what that implies but Harry has forced him to start keeping a lookout for any spiders running away like they were that day outside of Myrtle's bathroom. Ron is only doing it because Harry said pleeeease one too many times and he caved. Ron's hunting is hampered, though, by the fact that they have to travel with the rest of the first year Gryffindors in the corridors, following a professor all the way to their next class. They can't leave the common room after six o'clock and anytime they want to go anywhere, a professor has to come with them. Most of the other students are quite happy about this but Harry finds it extremely annoying.

Draco Malfoy, on the other hand, seems to be in a great mood on the daily. Harry can guess why but it's two weeks after Dumbledore and Hagrid have left that he hears the exact reason as to why in Potions. He and Ron are, unfortunately, sitting right behind him and they overhear him gloating to Crabbe and Goyle about the situation.

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he says, not even trying to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..."

Somebody passes by Harry, most likely Snape.

"Sir," Malfoy says loudly. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy," Snape says. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," Malfoy says. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job — I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir —"

Snape marches off and fortunately doesn't hear Seamus' fake gag.

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy continues. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger —"

The bell rings right then, which is good because Ron and Harry both leap up and attempt to grab Malfoy but are held back by Seamus and Dean.

"Let me at him," Ron growls. "I don't care, I don't need my wand, I'm going to kill him with my bare hands —"

"Hurry up, I've got to take you all to Herbology," Snape barks.

The four boys take up the rear, with a worried Neville walking with them. Seamus and Dean only let go of Harry and Ron once they're outside the castle and nearing the greenhouses.