Chapter 6: Goodbye, Larry

Her evening routine was simple: get out the door as soon as possible. Only sooner this time because she had to beat Larry to the museum and then call him and send him all over the city so she could set up the party without making him suspicious.

"Quite a tall order," she said to herself, brushing her hair as fast as she could while occasionally tugging knots that got caught and tearing hairs out of her scalp. A tiny amount of pain couldn't stop her from making sure this was the best night for Larry; for everyone in the museum.

When she felt like she had brushed her hair enough, she began her French braid. Her yellow vanity lights above her sink gave her golden hair an artificial tint. She had gotten so used to what she looked like in her mirror that when she saw herself in natural lighting she hardly recognized herself. But closet-apartments weren't known for having a window in the bathroom and she only had one mirror. She still had her two blue eyes that never changed despite the lighting, and pale skin that she could easily see without the mirror's help by looking at her hands at any time. Or, fair skin as Octavius had called it. That sounded a lot nicer to her. It made her sound like she was a princess.

"Princess," she mumbled, tucking in small loose strands of hair behind her ears. "Why does Jedediah insist on calling me that?"

She didn't have time to dwell on the question and left the bathroom to furiously put on her uniform. Her excuse to Larry for taking it from the locker room was that it needed to be dry-cleaned; when in reality she wanted to get to the museum already dressed so she could do a little more for the party before sunset. But dry-cleaning it wasn't a bad idea either, so she had followed through with her temporary lie. After he had dropped her off that morning, she had cancelled their drive to the museum; and though Larry was reluctant at first, he understood and conformed when she explained he had to let her do things on her own and that she would meet him there.

Gwen was thankful that her father had taught her how to tie his tie as she looped the fabric to create the professional knot on her person. She tucked in her undershirt and tightened her belt before sitting on her bed to put on her socks and sneakers. While picking up her uniform jacket and intending to pack her bag, there was a knock.

"I'm busy," she mumbled to herself, anticipating her landlord to be there. It took her about five steps to reach her front door from her room. While she fixed her collar, she turned the knob.

"Hey."

"Larry?!"

She gripped the doorknob tighter as terror and confusion bombarded her mind. Now she had to change her plans in order to distract him. He also had his uniform already on under his coat; and in front of him was his son. She assumed he was his son as Larry had mentioned having a kid.

"What are you doing here?" She tried to not sound concerned.

"Listen, I know what you said, but I just thought this would be easier." He paused. "Well, easier for me than you. I'm not the best at saying goodbye and I could really use the support."

Oh, you sweet man, she thought to herself as she sighed and relaxed her shoulders.

"Also, I thought it was about time you met Nicky." He patted his son's shoulder. "Nick, this is Gwen. Gwen, Nick."

"Hi, nice to meet you," Nick beamed while he extended his hand.

"Nice to meet you, too, Nick." They shook hands. Maybe I can use his help, she thought.

"I see you're ready to go. Shall we?" Larry pointed his thumb like a hitchhiker in the direction of the staircase down the hall.

"Uh, yeah. Let me just grab my backpack." She left the Daleys at the doorway and turned back into her room. Now what? she asked herself, zipping her bag in frustration and thinking that the party was going to be ruined. Well, not completely ruined, but the surprise part definitely would be. She put on a light coat—as the beginning of spring in New York anticipated making all its victims cold to the bone—followed by her backpack and joined her chauffeurs in the hall. As she made the commitment to go with Larry, she began thinking of how she was going to fix her predicament.