{}

Hero had just made it through Greenpath and was located right where Orchid had found him all that long ago. Even though Hero claimed he wasn't the best at remembering things, his origins seemed to be easy to recall.

It's been like twice since Hero was enthralled by The Radiance, or, the lie as Thyme called it. And he guessed that his older brother was right because jesus christ can she not shut up for one second. On The Pale King's crown can she not stall his brain and interrupt with her bullshit opinions. Well, it wasn't mostly opinions. Hero didn't know how The Radiance acted around everyone else but for sure she only treats Hero like a baby.

Hero climbed past some more bushes, noticing a small, grey piece of silver twinkling underneath the green overgrowth. He was about to pick it up before his hand was retracted without will.

"What do you think you're doing?"
Great.
"Being curious, what about you?"
"I do not have time for your comebacks. Pick up your weapon and go in that cave infront of you."

Hero lifted up his head and sure enough, there was a cave infront of him. It didn't seem too dark for him, but vines were dangling over the entrance covering it almost completely.

"And, why do I have to go in there again--"
"Be quiet and do as I say."

Hero walked towards the cave entrance and swiped away the vines with his nail. His instincts, from both himself and the Radiance, were insisting that someone else was in the cave with them. It wasn't a good feeling.

Hero was about to take a step further before  the end of a nail came only inches from his face. Scared, he fell backward and tumbled back near the entrance of the cave. As he tried to get himself back on his feet, he was pushed down again by the same end of the nail. Hero reached for his lantern and the face of someone similar was seen before him.

It was Thyme.

"..Hey." Hero began. Only pure silence came from Thyme. His eyes seem clouded, even though you could see only darkness.

"...You there--"
The nail came further towards Hero's face.
"SHUT IT."
That's what Hero did. Might as well let the big brother ask the questions.

"...You're infected again..." Thyme muttered under his breath before holstering his double-ended nail and reaching a hand towards Hero, not like he wanted to. "Did the lie come back?"

"Yeah, she did." Hero replied, taking his hand and lifting himself up. "Are you still gonna call her that?"
"Anything to keep me safe." Thyme turned to the distance ahead of him. "How did you find me?"
"She uh.. Told me to come here." Hero answered, noticing Thyme's slightly panicky demeanour. "What's got you so shaken up? I know it's been a while, but.."

Thyme was silent once again. He grabbed Hero's hand, falling to the floor in defeat.

"Hero.. My brother, I am so sorry.." His voice was shaky, which worried Hero. "She stole you, it was my mission, I never realised how much she meant to you."

"What do you mean--"
As Hero looked up towards the cave wall where Thyme was first gazing upon, he noticed the corpse of his first friend.

Orchid.

Hero froze in fear. His first real friend was dead. Infront of him. Thyme killed her. His own brother killed her. Hero snatched his own hand away from Thyme as his legs gave in, stumbling towards the remains of what was left of her.

"Noonononono... What did you DO?!?"
There was only panic in Hero's voice. Thyme put a hand to his head.
"I didn't think-- I wasn't-"
"DO YOU HAVE ANY CLUE ABOUT HOW MUCH BETTER SHE TREATED ME?!? YOU AND FATHER TREATED ME LIKE I WAS NOTHING, A SIMPLE PAWN. SOMETHING TO STEP ON. I CAN'T GO ONE SECOND WITHOUT YOU OR FATHER DOING SOMETHING TO RUIN MY LIFE."

Hero's words turned into sobs as he ranted and vented his whole life to his own brother. The murderer. Eventually he collapsed into Thyme's arms as his wails echoed through the cave.
"..You're selfish. What did you expect to gain from this? What did this mean to you?"

Thyme sighed. Hero was right, he didn't know what to expect from this. He killed Hero's only friend out of spite.

Thyme looked down at Hero, noticing the faint glow in his eyes. He remembered how long Hero had slept that father began to worry he may be dying. It was only an effect of the Radiance's power. When Hero finally awoke he wasn't acting like himself. The once happy, oddball Hero had turned into a cold and distant villain. All because of one stupid lie.

When Hero left with his friend, did he act the same way towards her?

Thyme snapped out of his little daze to notice that Hero had fallen asleep. That was short. Well, his tantrums never really lasted long anyway.

With regret, Thyme slowly picked up Hero's sleeping body and carried him out of the cave. It was only then he noticed the piece of silver in the grass. He carefully picked it up, making sure not to drop Hero while doing so and made his way back to his home in Dirtmouth.