Chapter Forty Four - Back To The Living

I woke up with a sharp gasp and felt a hand wrapped around my neck, squeezing it tightly and no doubt leaving bruises 'What's happening?! Who's doing this?' my slightly bulging eyes traveled up the arm of the hand and they widened in shock when I saw that the hand belonged to none other than Dr. Smiley.

'No..'

I tried to knock his hand loose but all it did was make him tighten it "Can't have any witnesses" he muttered creepily with a crazy look in his eyes.

I tried my best to fight him while coughing and gasping for breath but it was hard fighting with only one fully functioning arm 'I can't even move it anymore' I felt my panic and fear spike when I saw black spots form in the edges of my vision.

'Well that can't be good'

Just as I felt death almost take me, again, I heard a shout and his grip on my throat went lax, allowing me to finally breath again.

I roughly hit the floor on my knees, coughing and gasping for air. I had to close my burning eyes from the tears gathering from my harsh coughing.

I almost didn't want to open my eyes, I was terrified that I would see some horrifying sight of a mangled body or a monster in my face, but alas, I slowly opened my eyes and to my surprise, Dr. Smiley was completely still and looked frozen in place: confusing me.

'What is he doing?'

I looked behind him to see if I was missing something and saw the once blurry woman from earlier more clearly and felt a gasp escape my lips. 

"Mom?" My voice was quiet and scratchy from being chocked earlier "Is that really you?" For a second I was worried that I was hallucinating or even dead.

But luckily my worries were for not when she gave me a loving smile with her tired and slightly bloodshot eyes filled with relief and determination "In the flesh sweetheart" a relived smile grew on my face and my tears came back full force but this time in sweet relief.

'She's really here'

However my relief quickly turned to dread when I remembered that Dr. Smiley was still here and immediately began trying to stand up "Mom, we have to go before he gets up" I was trying and failing to get up but Mom just shook her head, the bandages wrapped around her neck wrinkled at the movement "I don't think we'll have to worry about him" her voice was steely and absolute.

Confused, I looked back at him and saw a needle still lodged in his neck "It's a poison, he'll be dead within a few minutes" the man in question stumbled around; grunting in pain when he yanked the needle out.

"It's something they wanted to give me but as you can see that didn't work out for them" Dr. Smiley's head snapped up and he looked up at Mom with an ugly glare and a grimace on his face "You bit-" but before he could finish his words, his eyes rolled to the back of his head and he fell to the ground with a thud.

I closed my eyes with a smile of relief and leaned on Mom's shoulder 'It's over' but my relief was interrupted by Tanner's face popping in my mind up making me tense up again "Mom what happened with Tanner? Is he okay? I thought he was dead wh-" She interrupted me with a chuckle; running her hand in my hair comfortingly.

"He's getting treatment for his injuries, the paramedics think he'll need stitches and a blood transfusion done but they said he should make it" I felt tears of pure relief brim my eyes.

'Thank goodness'

I grunted at a sudden pulse of pain in my legs and instinctively dropped down to the floor "Ow, adrenaline's gone" I grimaced as the fall agitated some wounds, I tried to get up but my body had finally had enough.

Mom sighed tiredly and with a small limp, walked over to me and carefully wrapped her arms around my torso and lifted me up, making me wince and groan in pain when she touched my bruised and sore spots.

"I'm sorry Maria but we need to go" I shook my head "No it's okay, I'm just a little bit sore" she let out a breathy laugh "I'd say so" I leaned my head against Mom's shoulder, my eyes starting to droop closed. "M' sleepy" I complained but tried to stay awake "I know, but you need to stay awake we're almost out" I groggily nodded, my head nearly slumping over.

"Mom what if she comes back? She could be tricking us" I mumbled with my eyes fully closed. She let out a deep sigh "I don't know Maria, but we'll figure it out okay?" I reluctantly nodded, getting a bad feeling in my stomach "Yeah, okay" we continued walking for awhile. I was worried that my body was going to give up soon.

'Come on Maria, don't give up, don't make Mom carry you'

I couldn't feel my arms anymore and I feared the same would happen to my legs "Are we almost out?" I asked needing to know, wanting that extra little push.

"Yeah, we're almost there baby, just a few more rooms then we're out" I felt a small smile grow on my face 'We can do it, almost there Maria' I forced my eyes to stay open; desperately wanting to see the outside world again.

Her grip on me tightened when I started slouching even more "Come on Maria, you gotta stay with me, I won't let that thing take you away from me too" she said determined with a hint of desperation in her voice making my heart ache.

"I'm sorry Mommy" I slurred out; the world was spinning and sixty five percent of my vision was spotty and I could hear her breath hitch "No, no, no Maria come on now stay awake" my eyes started to roll back into my head.

I was barely aware of the world, I felt nauseous and sleepy "I think I'm gonna throw up" I barely slurred out; feeling bile rising up in my throat as she carefully set my down on my knees and helped me lean forward so I didn't fall over.

"It's okay Maria, Mommy's got you" she lovingly rubbed my back, I cringed and grimaced when the bile finally came up "I got you" she stopped rubbing my back and held my hair to keep it from touching the vomit.

While I still couldn't see much, I saw traces of blood mixed up with stomach acid 'That can't be good' the vomit just kept coming up 'Why is there so much?' I was still gagging even when I finally ran out of material to throw up.

"Are you done?" Mom asked looking at me with concern, seeing me still gagging, I nodded slightly "There's blood" I mumbled pointing weakly at the blood and stomach acid mess.

She avoided looking at my vomit with a grimace on her face "Yeah, I know Maria, but it's okay, you're safe now" her voice was sure and reassuring bringing a comfort to me, I hummed sleepily and leaned against her, nearly passing out right then and there.

"Come on Maria, we're so close, just a few more steps" she tried to encourage me but she was really talking to herself at this point as I was already off in a different world with rainbows and unicorns 'Oh hey, it's you!' I thought pointing at the dancing unicorn 'Where have you been? It's been awhile' the unicorn rudely ignored me.

'Hey that's rude Mr. unicorn' I berated the dancing unicorn, falling unconscious the next second.