Loki Takes Action

Loki glared as he observed the interaction between his brother and the mortal creature through use of the magical well. He could hurl his horned helmet at the reflective pool of water, he was so angry.

"You are an obstacle I had not expected to contend with," Loki glowered as he watched the handsome young mortal making eyes at his brother. "And Thor...of course the moronic oaf would fall under the spell of a mortal."

It wouldn't be long before Thor found some way to undo the enchantment that bound him away from his hammer and Asgard. If that happened...no. Loki couldn't think about that. He stood and stormed out of the chamber. He hadn't wanted to use such force. But he could not abide Thor returning to Asgard and potentially learning that he had been the manipulator behind his banishment.

His entire plan was so near fruition. With Thor out of the way and Odin deep in his ritual slumber, Loki was free to unleash his schemes. He had been back to Jotunheim after the disastrous mission Thor had enacted before his banishment. He had spoken with the Frost Giants, promising them the relic that had sparked this new feud in the first place.

The Casket of Ancient Winters was once the weapon of the Frost Giants. They used it to project an oppressive and destructive winter over the realms they sought to conquer. It had been used to obliterate any armies that would oppose them. The chill of the Frost Giants' great weapon had resonated among the nine realms until Odin himself put a stop to this. He had defeated the king of the Frost Giants, claimed their greatest weapon, and left them broken and practically defenseless.

"And that isn't all you took, is it father," Loki hissed angrily as he moved along the fire-lit corridor.

No, Odin didn't just claim the Casket. In the wake of the destruction Odin and his army wrought, an infant Frost Giant was left parent-less. Alone and sobbing, the child had caught Odin's attention. He took the crying babe in his arms and brought him back to Asgard.

"You never told me the truth, did you," Loki grumbled. "You never told me that I wasn't really your son. That I was a spoil of war. An orphaned Frost Giant. It's no wonder you favor Thor, your real son." He could feel his composure slipping as anger rose in his chest. "But Thor is not here anymore."

He reflected on the scheme that had ultimately delivered Thor to his current fate. Eager to please Odin and gain his favor above Thor, Loki himself had urged some Frost Giants to come to Asgard and attempt to steal the Casket from Odin's vault. The plan failed, of course. He knew it would. But that was no problem- he never intended the weapon to be stolen.

"Oh, but you did play right into things, did you not?" Loki chuckled as he descended a lonely set of steps. Odin refused to retaliate against Jotunheim, but Thor's eagerness for battle and vengeance ensured he would not let the attempted theft go unmatched. Encouraged by Loki, Thor had led a band of his closest warrior friends to Jotunheim. It was here that Thor laid waste, as he always liked. The assault had transformed an old discord into what Loki hoped would be a new war. With Thor out of the way and Odin asleep, Loki would defend Asgard. He would use the Casket's power to bring about the destruction of Jotunheim.

"And when you awaken, Odin, you will see that it is I who deserved to be king. Not Thor."

He came upon the final step and walked toward Odin's vault. It was here that the Casket was kept. Along with several other relics and weapons, the Casket was kept under close watch by a silent and powerful guardian.

The Destroyer Armor stood proudly in the vault. The hollow, silver-colored suit of armor was an enchanted creation of Odin's. The indestructible suit of armor followed the commands of its master. With Odin currently indisposed and Thor far from Asgard, Loki would be that master.

"I hate to do this, brother. But you cannot regain your worthiness. You cannot come back to Asgard."

The Destroyer's hollow helmet began to glow with a menacing light as it was given its instructions.