Chapter 1 Beginnings

"Please, come back soon Mother! You promised me to give me a ride on your horse when you come back!" exclaimed an innocent 9-year-old girl with a bright smile while holding the hand of her father.

An older lady who held a strong resemblance to the little girl threw on a cloak around her shoulders that proudly displayed the symbol of the Scout Regiment, the Wings of Freedom. She turned to look at her daughter with a tint of sadness in her eyes, then kneeling down to give the little girl a tight hug. 

"Emilia, do you remember what I have always told you?" the woman said quietly as she gently stroked the long black hair of the little girl. 

"With a good heart, you can win many battles!" said the little girl as she held out a peace sign.

"Good, you were listening. Promise me, that you will always live your life with kindness and for the good of others."

"Yes, Mother! I promise. I'm going to grow up to be just like you!" said the little girl.

The older lady gave a sigh of relief as she mounted her horse. 

"Elizabeth, let this be the last expedition you will go on. I need you, our daughter needs you" said the little girl's father.

"Out of all people, you should know that I can't do that," she smiled sadly. "You're an engineer in the Garrison, while I'm full-fledged member of the Scouts. We do this to provide a better future for the younger generations, for our daughter." 

"I'm sorry, that was selfish for me to say," said the man as he shook his head. "Just come back to us safely, okay?"

"I promise. Please be good to your father while I'm gone, okay Emi?" as she ruffled her the little girl's hair.

"Farewell," she said softly as she turned her horse away from the house. 

"Mommy is cool, isn't she?" said the little girl as she looked at her father.

"Yes, yes she is."

Two Days Later

Emilia's POV

"Emilia, wake up, the Scout Regiment are going to be arriving at the front gates of Shiganshina soon," said my father as he gently shook me awake.

I stirred open my eyes, and I quickly made the realization that my mother was coming back today from her adventure. I quickly hopped out of bed with excitement and threw on whatever clothes were available from my closet.

The bells began to ring alerting the citizens of the arrival of the Survey Corps. Loud voices were heard outside of the house.

"The front gates opening!"

"The Survey Corps are coming!"

They're here! 

My eyes gleamed with excitement as I began to rush my father outside. We pushed through the crowd as I looked for any signs of my Mother. As the Survey Corps slowly rode their horses forward, the voices of the crowd turned into quiet mumbles.

Lifeless faces began to pass by us one by one. The pungent smell of blood clouded the air. Worry and confusion began to grow inside of me as I still could not spot my Mother.

"Are these the only ones who made it back?"

"Looks like another massacre this time. . ."

"Even though over 100 of them set out on the survey. . ."

"There are less than 20 people here . . . did the rest get eaten?"

I did not understand what the people around me were talking about. I looked at my father but all he did was hold my hand tighter. Suddenly, he bolted out of the crowd dragging me along.