Chapter 1

The sky above fills with darkness, and blood falls from the sky. A monster with blood in its mouth slowly walks towards me. I take out my bow and aim it at the beast. I should be scared, but I'm not; I'm also not alone. There are two people cloaked in shadow standing on both sides of me. The monster stomps on the ground, cracking it into two. More miniature terrifying monsters are crawling from it. A single tree pops from the ground, and white petals bloom from the branches. Four glowing lights break the darkness; they enter my body, and I feel powerful. Everything around me is shrinking. No, wait, I'm growing. The demon below roars with anger, which develops, becoming more sinister.

I jolt awake, feeling a sharp pain in my stomach. That's the same dream I've had for a while now. I look out the window and see that the sun is still sleeping. I stretch and yawn, and I get dressed. I take out my fishing and slowly open my door. Both my mother and my sister Daphne are still sleeping. I walked downstairs and went into the kitchen. I took out some logs and placed them into the fireplace. I take a deep breath and blow fire into it.

I open the front door and walk outside. The morning air hitting my face wakes me as I go to the lake.

The water looks flat, almost as if I could walk on it. I got my fishing pole ready, threw the line into the water, and heard the rod's tip hit the water. I sit down and wait to feel the rod to move. Almost every day since I was ten, I would fish every morning to help feed my family, but today is different; today is the first day of summer and my sixteenth birthday, which means everyone will see me as an adult. In a forest full of nothing but fairies, I'm the only dragon, or at least that is what I'm called. I can transform into a dragon whenever possible but breathe fire at will. I'm not the only one who can transform into a mythical creature; many people can change, too. Unicorns, Phoenixes, Gryphons Etc. It's rare for a person not to transform into a mythical creature, but it does happen, and I would hate to be one of those people who're put into slavery. Not many people can transform into mythical creatures, including Fairies and Gnomes. They always stay in their forms. Fairies raised me, which must have been tough for my parents. I have nothing in common with my mother and sister. They both like plants and being in nature. I never knew my biological parents, But I always thought they left me in the forest because they were travelling across the world and got in trouble with a few people. Though I wonder who my biological parents are, I consider my adopted parents my birth parents.

I only caught a few fish but needed more to trade in the forest.

I don't look like the fairies in the forest; they all have white, pale skin, bright blonde hair and green wings. They also wore clothes made of plants, such as flowers and leaves. On the other hand, I look different. I have a medium tan and black hair, and I don't have wings unless I transform. My clothes aren't made out of plants. Instead, my clothes are made out of a unique material that my mother makes.

The forest is fully alive; I return home, and the children play while the adults fly around, getting things like berries and plants. I open the front door of the treehouse and walk inside. The scent of bread runs through my nose as I plop the fish onto the table.

Mother walks into the kitchen and wraps her hand around me, wishing me a happy birthday.

"Two fishes, they will have to do it for today," she said while putting on some mittens and taking the bread out of the oven.

Mother hands me some plates and tells me to set the table.

"Since you are sixteen now, what do you think you want to do with your life?" she asks. "I don't know yet, but I do know that I have to find a place to stay on my own soon," I reply. She gave me a look, "Oh dear, you're still young and have the rest of your life to leave home," she said, almost crying. "I know, but I can't stay home forever. But it's not right for me to live off of you," I said. "Enough, I don't want to hear about it anymore. Now go upstairs and ensure Daphne is awake for breakfast; I don't want her to sleep all day," she said. Knowing Daphne, she's probably awake and is caring for her plants.