Chapter Four

Penelope sat in the girl's dormitory of the Slytherin house when her alarm went off, reminding her about dinner. She had alarms for all three meals just to make sure she actually ate.

She quickly turned off her alarm, bouncing out of bed to leave. When she got down the stairs, she was stopped by a figure in front of her, his gray eyes piercing through her. She didn't want to look at him, not after Potions.

"What, Draco?" She asked, snippier than she had expected.

His smile only grew. "You know, you're the only one who calls me that."

Penelope folded her arms, continuing to look down. "Is that all you have to say? Because I'm going to dinner."

He didn't answer, so she pushed past him and walked through the common room, feelings a cold shiver down her whole body. But, just before she could leave, his voice stopped her in her tracks.

"You can't put a spell over Amortentia, Darling."

His words turned her around. She finally locked eyes with him and they widened as he looked at her. His eyes said everything his mouth hadn't.

You belong with me.

Penelope's body felt cold as she left the corridor--she felt like she was literally shivering. But it didn't matter because she knew what he was like and she knew he couldn't possibly care about her. And no, she didn't think about that in a 'pick me' sort of way, she honestly thought it. And yet, her body flowed with emotion thinking that she belonged with Draco...Draco.

The dining hall was already packed as Penelope entered, but she just made her regular B-line to the Gryffindor table. 

It had already been established that the Gryffindor table wasn't really much of a Gryffindor table because so many other students sat there. Which was funny 'cause she sat around the only Gryffindor's who really sat there. Hermione, Ginny, Cedric and Penelope sit on one side while Harry, Ron, Fred, and George sit on the other. They didn't have assigned seats, but it had been ingrained into their brains like habits.

As she sits down, both Fred and George look her way, both giving her their signature smile. "Alright?" George said.

Penelope nods and the three of them do their secret handshake they made up years ago.

Fred and George had always been like Penelope's older brothers. They were only a year older, but they took care of her all the same. Last summer, she had spent it with the Weasley's and had grown closer to the boys. She won't admit it, but she knows she likes them better than Ron... although, Ron would feel like shit if he knew that. The three of them don't talk about the night they found her crying...no, they don't bring it up. As much as they love to make fun of people, they know their limits.

Penelope gets ripped out of her thoughts by hearing none other than the twins laughing.

"You put your name in the Goblet of Fire?" Fred said through his laughs.

The words, "well...yeah," came from the voice she least wanted to hear.

As she turned to her right, she saw Cedric nodding as if it was a regular everyday thing. She swallowed before she spoke. "Diggs, honey, I thought we talked about maybe not doing that."

"I changed my mind." He said, his voice as peppy as ever.

"But, you know, Dumbledore said it was dangerous. Very dangerous."

He looked at her, his face finally dropping. "Pen, it's my decision."

"But--"

"Whatever you say won't stop it from being my decision."

Penelope looked around the table. Everyone was looking at her with either a look or pity or awkwardness. She felt herself grow more anxious, feeling all the eyes around her pinned on her. She got up before she could stop herself.

"Pen, where are you going?" Cedric said, trying to stop her.

It didn't work. "I just--I need to take a second, alright?"

Penelope left the Great Hall and walked a few steps before sliding down a wall, holding her head in her hands. She felt like she was overreacting but she really liked Cedric and she didn't want something to happen to him.

It was only ten seconds before the large doors opened again and Cedric was sitting down next to her. "I didn't know this would upset you so much."

"What did you expect?" Her voice cracked. "We had talked through this. You promised you wouldn't because you knew how dangerous it was."

"I never meant to hurt you."

A tear slid down her cheek. "You already have."

As Cedric came to wipe her tear away, she turned her face. She didn't want him near her in that moment and he got the message. He turned away quickly, leaving her to her own thoughts.

The Great Hall doors closed and that's when she got up, running towards the library--her safe space. She didn't get a step in the door before she saw someone appear around the corner of a shelf. Who else should she have expected except Draco.

Her guard was up immediately. She didn't want to cry around him. That was the last thing she needed. He beckoned her to him but she just shook her head. It wasn't until he rolled his eyes and mouthed please that she went towards him.

"I want to make sure you're okay." He said, his voice quiet. 

Something went through Penelope's body--something she didn't feel often--hearing such an unfamiliar thing. "Like you'd care."

He ran a hand through his hair and looked at her. "I never meant to hurt you."

"Somehow, somehow, I highly doubt that, Draco Malfoy."