DECEMBER 1900

Where do I start. I never truly understood why my mum chose to call me Enola. "Alone" That's how she probably wanted to call me. But the midwife probably wanted to change it as it was too gloomy for a baby.

As a baby, I was a disgrace... no, I was the disgrace, of my mother. I ruined everything, I made everyone think of my mother as someone who isn't a true woman. But who is a true woman?

That's something I want to know. I've always wanted to be the perfect daughter, the perfect girl, the perfect woman. But right now, I don't even know what "perfect" means. I think perfect is just being you. That's perfect.

Being somebody you're not, trying to be someone who isn't truly you, faking your real identity is so monotonous, stodgy and outrageous for a person. It's a big lie, faking who you are.

I've always liked reading, biking, painting(?)... nah I've never liked painting that much, my mother did. But I can't do nothing much. My brother Sherlock, contrariwise can do anything possible. He has so many talents, he can do whatever he wants to and he also learns so fast!

Here something I wanted to be: a man, a boy. I never liked wearing skirts or boomers. I like wearing pants, trousers, pantaloons... whatever you like to call them. A boy doesn't have to impress anyone in the society, can have a job and doesn't need to have children in future!

I hate society! Why do I need to wear an hat and gloves to be considered adequate? Why do I always have to be "perfect", why do I have to impress anyone to be considered in the society?

These are a few questions. But anyhow, if anyone asks you who Enola Holmes is, who is the sister of Sherlock and Mycroft. If anyone asks you who is the girl that's always "alone"... 'Tis I.