Chapter 5- The Battle

You all sat at the conference room. Well not all of you. Steve, Tony, and Fury are gathered at a table. You sit to the side and only now do you realize how much you are shaking. You told Bruce you weren't afraid of the hulk, but the truth is he terrifies you.

Fury pulls a handful of cards out.

Fury speaks," These were in Phil Coulson's jacket. Guess he never did get you to sign them," he said to Steve.

Fury scatters them on the table. Some are wet with blood.

He continues," We're dead in the air up here. Our communications, location of the cube, Banner, Thor. I got nothing for you. Lost my one good eye. Think I had that coming."

Fury begins to make his way around the table to Steve and Tony," Yes, we were going to build an Arsenal with the Tesseract. I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was playing something even riskier. There was an idea, Stark knows this, called the Avengers Initiative."

Fury reaches a chair between Tony and Steve," The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, see if they could become something more. See if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could. Phil Coulson died still believing in that idea, in heroes."

Tony stands and walks out.

"Well, it's an old fashioned notion."

****

You all decided to go save the world. Now all you needed was a ride. Cap, Barton, You, and Natasha walked onto the jet. You managed to take a few daggers from the armory along with a spear.

The shield engineer that was in there said," Hey, you guys aren't authorized to be in here."

"Son, just don't!" Cap says.

The quinjet flies toward Stark Tower, which is beaming the blue stream to the sky. Natasha speak to Tony who is in his suit, flying to Stark tower. You wished you knew where Bruce was. He was probably all alone. He probably couldn't have fallen far, so at least you know he's in the city. Barton and Nat use the canons to take out some of the Chitauri in front of them. They then fly through the smoke and up to Stark tower.

You spotted Loki and Thor fighting on the catwalk of Stark tower. Loki spots the jet. He throws Thor to the floor, then blasts one of the jet's rotor blades with his scepter, the quinjet falls to the ground.

Inside the quinjet you all hold on for dear life. As you were falling you still preferred this to fighting the hulk. Cap grabs ahold of the roof as the plane grazes buildings and crashes to the street. Natasha and Barton remove their headsets, open the ramp, and you all exit the jet.

"We gotta get back up there," Steve yells over the sound of battle.

You all run onto the overpass, looking up at Stark Tower. You freeze as you see a giant armored Leviathan -- a warship of the Chitauri, fly through the portal with more warriors. The warriors jump onto the side of buildings and into the buildings where they shoot civilians.

"Stark, are you seeing this?" Steve asks Tony.

"Seeing. still working on believing...Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

You frowned at his question," not yet," you told him.

Barton and Natasha crouch behind a taxi cab. You and Cap run over.

Barton looks at Cap," We've got civilians trapped."

Natasha quickly stands and fires both her guns at an incoming group of Chitauri," We got this. It's good. Go!"

"You think you can hold them off?" You asked.

"It would be my genuine pleasure."

Barton grabs an arrow and shoots it, hitting one alien in the head, the arrow quickly separates into more arrows, killing three Chitauri aliens.

You and Cap leave the other two fighting and jumps off an overpass, rolling onto a bus and into the street. You and Cap run through the street towards a group of police shooting at Chitauri.

"It's gonna be an hour before they scramble the National Guard," the cop speaks to his sergeant.

"National Guard!" The two duck to avoid a Chitauri blast,"Does the army know what's happening here?"

Cap jumps down on the car in front of them. You drop onto the street next to him and grab your spear off your back.

"You need men in these buildings. There are people inside and they are running right into the line of fire. You take them to the basement or through the subway, you keep them off the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th."

"Why the hell should I take orders from you?"

Two Chitauri warriors attack both of you, he fights them off easily then turns back to the two men. The two cops stand shock.The police sergeant reacts and walks back to his men," I need men in those buildings, lead the people down and away from the streets. We're gonna set up a perimeter all the way down to 39th street."

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asks.

"The power surrounding the cube is impenetrable," Thor responds.

"Thor is right, we gotta deal withthese guys," Tony said.

"How do we do this?" You ask.

"As a team," Cap says.

"I have unfinished business with Loki."

Barton readies some arrows," Oh yeah! Get in line."

"Save it," Cap says," Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us to-," He stops, seeing Banner arrive on a motorbike. All of you walk over and Banner dismounts, surveying the damage.

"So, this all seems horrible."

You run up and wrap your arms around him. He returned the gesture. You pull away and slap him. He touches his cheek as you say firmly," next time I ask you to remove yourself from a situation, do it."

He chuckled," yes, ma'am."

"Stark, we got him," Steve says.

"Banner?" He questions.

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you."