31. Phoenix

Finally, after Stephen has wrapped both of my arms, from fingertips to elbows, the door swings open. Ollie trapezes in with a huge smile on her face. My father follows after, chewing on his lip and wringing his hands.

Mandy enters a moment later and kneels down on the carpet in front of me. "How are you feeling?" She touches my chin, but I pull away.

"Don't ask."

She scowls at me. "Are you mad?"

"Sort of," I admit. "Yeah, I am."

"For what?" Mandy sits back on her feet and gapes at me. "We just saved your life!"

"And I do appreciate that, but I wouldn't have been in this situation if Ollie hadn't sent us in the first place."

Both of us look at Ollie. She's sitting in the high-backed office chair and swaying back and forth gently. She freezes once she notices us staring at her.

"You're mad at me?"

"I have every reason to be!" I sit up in the chair and lean towards her. "It's your fault Isaac and I are in this situation."

"How so? You volunteered, remember?"

I glare. "So you just let children do whatever they want? I didn't know what I was getting into. You're an adult; you're supposed to make sure I don't do anything stupid."

"No one really knew what you were getting into," Mandy interjects. "And I tried to tell Ollie it wasn't a good idea to send you. Not with such a small support group, anyway. Then Hartley showed up, and everything sort of collapsed."

"Literally," Ollie says, sitting up now. "Look, I know you're mad, but I had to do what was best for everyone. Surely you get that."

"I do, but next time, maybe you shouldn't send a kid."

Ollie runs a hand through her hair and looks at my dad. "Anything to add, Doctor?"

He purses his lips into a line and gives her a look that's dripping in annoyance. "I'm on her side, Olivia. If you hadn't sent her back, Hartley's plan would have fallen through. Because Jaelyn was the one who came, he knew exactly how to stop her."

"Because you helped him!"

Dad gapes at her. "I had no other choice! I knew my daughter was alive, and I didn't want to be killed. She'd already lost one parent; that's more than enough."

"She didn't lose me." Mandy rises to her feet, turning on him. "You infected me and left me for dead."

"Actually, Amanda, I saved your life. Did you miss the part of those vlogs where I admitted to risking my life for your safety?"

A short laugh of disbelief escapes her mouth. "I didn't ask to become your guinea pig."

"And I didn't ask to become President Ashford's personal scientific slave, but look at us now."

They glare at each other for a long moment. What was I expecting— hugs and kisses? Of course she's mad at her for what happened. She has every right to be. Yet, Dad did what had to be done. Is she so blind that she can't see that? The familiarity they once had must've been lost in the eleven-year gap.

"None of this matters," I interrupt. Ollie had just turned to argue with Dad. The three of them turn towards me, now, though. Dad's face softens, probably from seeing the tears welling up in my eyes. "It doesn't matter who's responsible. I'm glad you saved me, but you're three weeks too late."

Mandy covers her mouth with her hand and searches the faces around her. No one else says anything, though. Stephen puts a giant hand on my shoulder, and the pressure relieves a little of the anxiety I feel swelling in me.