7- I'll Be Home Christmas

day seven- harry is away on an auror mission and desperately trying to get home to draco and the kids

It was the day before Christmas Eve and instead of spending the day with his husband and two kids, Harry was seated on the small, rickety bed of some dingy motel halfway across the world. He'd been on an Auror mission for the past two weeks, but was now finally off of work and he couldn't even get home. He didn't have access to a floo as he was in a muggle neighborhood in a small American town, the portkey office was completely booked up, and apparition was out of the question- seeing as he didn't particularly care to splinch himself. So he sat on the bed in that wretched motel, his mobile phone sitting just a few feet away from him.

He had promised Draco that he would be home for Christmas, but looks like he wouldn't be able to. It broke his heart, he'd never been away from his family on a holiday before. Harry let out a sigh, he knew he should quit his job as an Auror and find a less stressful job that allowed him to spend more time with his family, but was just never able to find the right time to tell the Head Auror that he was resigning.

Harry shook his head to clear his thoughts, now was not the time to be thinking about that. Right now Harry needed to call Draco and tell him the bad news. He glanced over at the phone that sat on the bed beside him and picked it up, putting it in his pocket. He left his small motel room and went out into the parking lot, standing a few feet away from a couple that were packing their truck up. Harry took out the mobile phone and dialed Draco's number, putting the phone up to his ear.

"Hello?" came Draco's voice through the phone.

"Um, hey," greeted Harry awkwardly, staring at the ground.

"Harry? Is everything alright?" asked Draco, "Are you okay?"

Smiling slightly at his husband's worrying Harry replied, "I'm fine, everything's fine. I just, um, have some bad news." he said lamely.

"Bad news?" Draco asked apprehensively, "Harry, are you sure everything's alright?"

"Yes. No. Maybe?" sighed Harry in defeat and frustration, "I don't know if I'll be able to make it home for Christmas."

"What do you mean you don't know if you'll be able to make it home for Christmas?!" cried Draco, "You promised us you would make it home!"

Harry huffed and replied, "I know I did Draco, but what do you want me to do about it? The DMLE's not providing anything, and I'm pretty sure everything is booked anyway," he said in frustration, "I can go to the airport if you'd like and see if they have anything available last minute, but I have no idea how'll get there."

"Are they really not providing anything for you?"

"No," sighed Harry, "they're not providing anyone with anything. I think they're all shut down for the holidays, spending time with their families. Which is bloody stupid if you ask me! Don't they think I want to spend Christmas with my family?"

"Have you tried pulling the Saviour card?" asked Draco frantically, sounding on the verge of tears.

Harry snorted, "I tried pulling every card I could! I told them I needed to get home to you and the kids, told them about James' separation anxiety, and obviously told them I'm the Saviour, Boy Who Lived, Chosen One, whatever the hell they're calling me nowadays," said Harry irritably.

"And still nothing," Draco stated rather than asked, the reality of the situation setting in.

"Zilch,"

"There really is no hope then," his husband said in defeat, "you're really not coming home for Christmas?"

"I didn't say that, Draco," Harry said sternly, "I said I could go to the airport and see if they have any flights. I'm just not sure how I'll get there."