he is her concubine

⊰ chapter eighteen ⊱

The next morning was a series of unexpected incidents.

Dara was informed of the locals gathering beneath the Main Gates. Scheming the situation, Dara permitted the locals to enter the Palace yards. The advisors worried about Dara's safety, about her preparations to face the people of Zisk. The Princess walked through the long corridors of the Palace, before she walked into the balcony, the pillows with different colored Zekhs and tiaras appeared.

Ann took the third Zekh with the blue prints across the shoulders and white flowers after Dara pointed at it over her shoulders. Another maid appeared with Dara's tiara―she knelt down to the short maid so she would set the crown over her head. Jungkook's voice cut the process before the doors to the main terrace opened to the locals.

"Dara."

The bishops and advisors bowed to the soldier as he appeared and walked through them to find Dara. The Princess gawked at him, "Why are you out of bed, again?"

"You can't face the locals now, not before your coronation. It's risky," Jungkook suggested and the advisors hummed the same. Ann was confused―so were the rest of Dara's maidens. Jungkook lowered his voice, reaching Dara, "Don't go. It's about Theon. They are questioning your decision―it's not recommended for heirs to meet the locals before their descent―and with your recent actions, they will not have it easy. They loved Theon."

Dara nodded but then proceeded to turn to the doors. She jerked her chin towards the door and the doors opened. Her heels cackled against the floor and the bliss between the crowd silenced. Jungkook broke off the shield created by the advisors and stood behind Dara, forcing himself to see and make sure of her security.

The sun settled and Dara's tiara glimmered. She went speechless. She had nothing to say―the voice was lost.

"Your Grace!" someone cried out, "Where is our Prince? Why did you banish him from our Kingdom?!"

"He was our last straw!"

"He was worthy!"

"You killed him!"

"A woman cannot rule us! We don't want a ruler anymore! Give us justice!"

Dara's hand silenced them again. A tight wave of fear walked past Jungkook as he watched everyone step back as Dara finally lowered her eyes at the crowd. Her motionless body moved and she chinned up, her chest rising. Ann smiled with ease, she has been waiting for this.

"I won't play you the regular women can rule and men can cook today," Dara said, "But you must know a few things. Accepting a woman is tough, but we are in the eighty first season of Zisk and you did not nominate one single woman for the throne―why were you still quiet when you had the chance to dismiss me when Arver was alive? Your great King loved you, not like his subjects, but like his own daughters and sons. Yet you don't have the courage to question his decisions when you have the courage to question mine?"