𝒜𝓁𝓉𝒽𝑒𝒶

"This is a joke. It has to be. There is no way that my own parents would forsake me as you all are doing right now," flies out of my mouth before I can stop myself.

"Watch your tone, Althea. I will not tell you again," My mother sternly scolds.

I stop pacing the room and turn to face them with the utmost indignation displayed clearly on my face. I just need to understand. I need to understand why they think I am weak. Why they think I need a partner? Why?

"Mother, Father. Please reconsider your decision. I promise you that I can handle this company on my own. I do not need nor want the presence of an outsider. I have worked at this company since obtaining my MBA, and I have continued to strive to make our company the best. I will continue to do so without the help of some random stranger." I say as calmly as I can. I will not lose my temper. They taught me better than that.

"Althea, sweetie," my father begins. "This should not come to you as a shock as it is tradition. As a Mendoza, you must follow in our footsteps and take over the family's company, but you must do it the way that path paved for you dictates. You will take a young man as your esteemed partner, and you two will do your mother and I proud. Am I clear?"

He asks this question in a pointed way expecting no rebuttal. My father's word is law. He knows this. My mother knows this. I know this.

I resist the urge to slump my shoulders in defeat. "I understand, sir." I say sharply. I see my father raise his eyebrows, but he says nothing. I look over to see my mother avoiding my gaze. I would too. All these years, a fairy tale of a dream, washed away in an instance. To share what I have worked so hard for with a stranger is utterly defeating. What was the point of all my hard work?

A knocks sounds at the door of the office. "Come in," my father says. The door opens to present a man standing there in a crisp black suit, as if he owns the place.

"Yes, finally, you are here." My father turns to me pointedly. "This here will be your partner, Andres Torres." He turns to me and with a smile, extends his hand to mine. His eyes are big and brown as he speaks out, "It is very nice to meet you Ms. Mendoza."

I plaster on my biggest, fakest smile for those who do not deserve a real one and reply, "Likewise, Mr. Torres." I shake his hand quickly before looking towards my parents. My mother smirks at me as if she's playing the role of Aphrodite.

"Well now now you two. You both need to become acquainted with each other if you are going to become the new CEOs of the company. I want you two to go out and get lunch," says my mother excitedly.

Before I can sputter out a word, I hear him speak up. "Yes, I will be delighted to go to lunch and get to know your daughter better." He does not look towards me as he says this, as if my presence here is as inferior as an ant.

"Spectacular. You two may leave," my father speaks. I nod and turn to walk out of the door. I can hear his resounding footsteps on my heels as he follows me out.

All I need to do is to stay calm. Entertain this man and make nice until I can figure out how to minimize his existence. We reach the awaiting car parked outside our enormous, 62-floor skyscraper. Big letters are splayed across the top spelling out Mendoza. I laugh a little to myself. Even with his intrusion, he will never be a Mendoza.

"Excuse me," I hear him say. I turn to see him standing by the door, holding it open for me. I roll my eyes internally and enter, whispering a small thank you. He closes the door behind us, and before the car can even pull off, he is loosening up his tie. He looks over to me and smirks, so I decide to turn my attention elsewhere. I look out the window, staring at passing buildings and restaurants.

"So, I have been meaning to ask you something," he says with a devilish smile. I look over at him and raise my sharply arched eyebrow.

"What is it?" I ask. He looks me up and down, and his smile grows wider.

"When are you going to quit this hating me act and actually have some fun with me?" My eyes bulge out of my head at his incredulous question. "I mean, you look good, and I know that I am sexy as hell. It is only a matter of time before I have you bent over my knee begging for mercy," he says, completely confident in himself. I can not believe my ears. Who the hell does he think he is. He's a fucking small fry compared to me.

I take a deep breath then compose myself. I am a Mendoza. I will not allow myself to stoop to the level of filth. I concisely gather my thoughts before speaking, but before I can, he touches my thigh. All resolve flies out of the window, and it probably hit the kid across the street.

"Who the fuck do yo-" I hear a knock at the window to see the driver standing there awkwardly.

"Ma'am, sir. We have arrived," he says sheepishly, shifting from foot to foot. I sigh to myself.

"Lead the way."