the first rain always falls the hardest (ao3 crosspost)

This wasn't how either of them had expected their day to go.

Vanessa and Michael had been talking for a while, both of them being mentally ill nerds greatly helped in the fact that despite only knowing each other for only a few weeks, they had grown pretty close, talking online for most of their days. This was most likely why he texted asking to stay at her's for a couple days, promising to explain everything when he arrived at her apartment.

She had almost immediately agreed, remembering how she had to couch surf for almost a year when she had gotten kicked out in high school. She grimaced at the thought of her only close friend having to stick it out in the brewing storm, it's not like he even had anyone else to stay with either. Michael never seemed to talk to anyone besides her, not to mention the apprehension to talk to her when they had first met. So when she heard a knock at the door, she answered to find a thoroughly soaked michael standing on her porch with nothing but a backpack and the drenched clothes he was wearing, he hadn't even bothered with an umbrella.

She ushered him in and started setting up an old radiator to warm the freezing man that had entered her home. He set his wet backpack down with care and plopped onto the couch before speaking.

"Thanks again for letting me stay," he said with warmth, shoving the hair on his forehead back before it dropped back into place, sticking to his forehead with the rain.

"It's no problem, really," Vanessa replied back with a smile, proudly admiring her ability to set up the old heater from the secondhand shop. She walked around the couch to where Michael was sitting and plopped herself into a side chair by him.

"Now," she started, an expression of worry beginning to form, "what happened?"

Michael shifted in his seat uncomfortably. "Well, it's a long story," he began, fidgeting with his hands as he spoke, "so i haven't exactly been legally living in my house, i technically owned the place, as it was an old family house, and due to the rumors surrounding the house, no one really wanted to live their, so i kinda just...," he fidgeted more, trying to find the right words to say, "pretended to still own the place, which was working pretty well until," he trailed off, hints of embarrassment visible on his face.

"Until?" Vanessa urged.

"Until," he continued, "Fazbear Ent. bought the deed and kicked me out to turn the house into a museum." His shame riddled voice coupled with the fact he looked like a wet cat built a feeling of utter pity in Vanessa, overpowering her urge to laugh at the absurdity of someone losing a house to a damn pizza company.

"That fucking sucks dude, stay as long as you need," she said after realizing she should've probably said something instead of sitting there looking contemplative.

"Thank you, really," he said, flashing a smile at her.

Vanessa had never seen a smile that sorrowful or that genuine.