Home home sweet home

I slowed down the car, something got into my stomach as I saw the huge building outside.

I parked the car and moved towards the entrance. It was dark and gloomy outside, I felt something like the light was not correct or was it just my feeling.

I entered the house and felt a nostalgic vibe inside me, I was happy to see everything was in the same place as it was 10 years back.

I knocked on the door. A lady in her late 50s opened the door. A tear just rolled on to my cheeks as I saw her, I just hugged her tight. Yes, she was my mom, whom I met after 10 years.

"How are you Nishi?" a hoarse voice I heard from the backside.
I turned around and touched the feet, saying "I am fine dad, how are you both?"

"We are fine, come inside and get freshen up dear, I will bring water for you" mom said.

"Sure mom"

I saw, both of them became leaner than before, with wrinkles all over the forehead but,  was happy to see them after so long.

I took the glass of water, emptied the whole glass in one shot and said:
"mom I am so hungry and I am dying to eat khana cooked by you".

She smiled and said "yes beta, change your clothes, get freshen up, I will serve you the food".

"Yes mom," I said happily and went upstairs.

I saw everything was the same as it was before, the wall clock, the paintings, except a layer of dust littering on everything.

Nothing changed much all these years but still, something was different, but I was so happy that I didn't realize anything much and just rushed upstairs to see my old room.

I entered the room, I saw my old bed, study table, almirah in the same place. I was happy to find everything there, but it was a little dark and gloomy.

"Here, I brought your luggage beta," dad said.

"Oh dad, why did you bring all the luggage, where is Rajesh?"

he just smiled and said: " its been 10 years he is not with us anymore and I am still young enough to hold your bags" he smirked.

I realized dad grew older, became lean. I saw blue veins popping out of the skin, as the skin became more translucent as I took the bags from his hands.

"Mom why you kept all the windows close, earlier you used to kept open all the windows, what happened now?"

"It is full of pollution outside nowadys, so can't keep them open all the time". She said.

I didn't say anything and went towards the fridge to get some water.

She stopped me from behind and said:
"you go and sit there on the dining chair, I will get you water."

I was happy to sit and have lunch with my family. Mom brought the food to the table and started serving me the food.

I took the first bite of my roti with the delicious meat curry. I was not sure which meat exactly it was, it tasted like mutton.

"It's so delicious mom, I missed this food all these years."

They smiled and kept on eating silently. I was eating and talking simultaneously as I had to share many things with them.

"Mom why Rajesh left and where is Laxman chachu?"
Laxman chachu was my dad's assistant, who used to stay in our house, he used to love me a lot. He was one of the most loyal and honest person, he sometimes used to drive me to school.