17. day 10

chapter seventeen

day 10

"Oh good," Josephine, Josh's younger sister is the one to answer the door when Elliot rings the bell, "Please tell me you guys made up. I cannot take another minute of him listening to sappy breakup songs,"

As confused as Elliot is by her response, it still brings an amusing smile to his face — he'd definitely have to ask Josh later what Josie is meaning by that. But now he has more pressing matters to deal with.

"Can I see him?"

Josie frowns, "Is that some kind of trick question?"

"No?"

"He's not here,"

"Did he tell you to tell me that? Oh, come on, Jos-"

"No, he's really not here," she furrows her eyebrows, she is the one confused now.

"Oh," that is a surprise, Elliot is sure he'd be at his house — as far as Elliot knows the blond doesn't really like going out and so he just assumed that, "Do you know where he is then?"

"Yeah, I actually thought he'd be with you?" she scratches the back of her head, "He said he is going to meet you,"

"What? No, I di–" his phone rings right then, interrupting him and he takes it out from his phone and laughs upon seeing the caller id: golden boy.

"Found him," Elliot shakes the device at Josie and then steps away, attending the call.

"Hey,"

"Where are you?"

Both of them speak at the same time and then laugh.

"I'm actually in front of your house," Elliot answers, "Where are you?"

"Well... ditto," he chuckled.

"Why didn't you call me?"

"Why didn't you?" Josh retorts.

Elliot shakes his head, smiling wide, "I just... wanted to see you,"

"Ditto, again,"

Elliot scoffs, shaking his head again, sighing. He just feels giddy all over, he hops lightly, and then he says, "Just wait, I'll be there in a few minutes,"

"No, I was thinking maybe we could meet halfway," Josh suggests instead — he doesn't have to say anything more, Elliot perfectly knows what place he has in mind.

"See you at the bridge then,"

⋘⋙

"Hey," the curly-haired boy breathes out as soon as he reaches the bridge.

Josh has reached the bridge first since Elliot's place is closer to the bridge than Josh's place is. The blond turns around upon hearing Elliot's voice and a lump sets in his throat as he takes in the boy. He looks away not being able to meet his gaze.

They remain still for a few more seconds before Elliot takes the first step. He doesn't like this distance between them — he never has liked it.

As if hearing his thoughts, Josh looks up right then — Elliot could've taken the first step but it is Josh who closes the distance between them. He throws his arms around Elliot's bony frame and the latter almost falls from the unexpected but very much welcomed force. Elliot rounds his arms around Josh well, pulling him as close as he can.

"I'm sorry," Josh says, burying his head against Elliot's shoulder, "I'm so sorry,"

"It's okay,"

"No, it's not," he mumbles, nuzzling his head further, and then draws his head back, scrunching his nose, "Sorry, your hair went into my nose,"