| III |

The village feared him. They had a right to fear him.

Despite being a couple steps down from his high ranking of a prince, he still introduced his power. Surely, it was only a matter of time until the villagers understand the gravity of their visit. This wasn't just some mere inspection from the kindness of the king.

If there was alarming information on a Goguryeo spy within Baekje, then this wasn't any laughing matter. And Yongbok hoped that the villagers knew that. They should. If they valued their lives.

They settled in the forest near the town. One of the higher-ranking guards suggested that Yongbok take a building that the village leader offered, but the prince was too much of a paranoid bastard to even think about staying in the village. So he opted to stay with the guards, thankfully taking a tent for himself. While he didn't trust them any more than the villagers, at least they'd come to his aid if there was ever a chance of an attack.

Within days, Yongbok ordered the guards to snoop around the village, bribe villagers, take in the gossip—anything that would help them get back to Ungjin quicker. To keep it inconspicuous but clear. They didn't want to reveal their purpose but suggest to the villagers of their intentions.

However, two days passed, and the guards always came back with nothing. They were always mere local gossips: a farmer caught cheating on his wife, someone falling into the nearby river, stolen goods and such.

So Yongbok took it into his own hands. If he wanted something done, he had to do it himself. Besides, a walk around the village early in the morning wouldn't hurt. And he was tired of being stuck in the camp all day long. In all honesty, he missed the lectures and the overbearing scholars, the officials and the intimidating comfort of the palace. Here, camped out in the forest, was nothing but boredom and the sounds of captains ordering their soldiers and the early clamors of the company waking up.

The sun was barely out, shining so prettily upon the forest and the village.

The villagers bowed to him when he and the recruit—Chan walked past, the freckled prince smiling thinly and nodding to whoever bowed.

The village seemed normal enough. Farmers waking up early to prepare for a long day of labor, starting with the breakfast they cooked for themselves and their families. It was quiet, nothing more on the streets than people passing by or the occasional dog that padded along.

Though he recognized a familiar farmer hobbling along the path ahead, a basket of radishes under his arm as he winced in pain from walking. His dark hair fell over his eyes, sighing when he recognized Yongbok approaching him, stopping in his track to allow the prince and the guard to walk by. But the young prince didn't mind the frown directed toward him. Not at all. Not the scowl, or the glare, or the passive-aggressive bow either.

He was, after all, only released yesterday. Yongbok didn't expect the farmer to show even a hint of respect toward him.

"How's your back?" Yongbok questions with a hum, standing before the farmer who kept his eyes low.

"Fine," he mutters, before bowing again, walking past to which Yongbok scoffs. The freckled prince turns to the curly-haired guard beside him, arching an eyebrow and gesturing to the farmer.

"What's his name again?"

"Seo Changbin, your highness." Chan clears his throat, Yongbok sighing as he runs after the hobbling man.

"Why the long face, Seo Changbin? Here, let me help you with that—"

"I can do it myself. There's no need to burden yourself." Changbin was borderline talking disrespectfully, a mockery upon the younger's status, he supposes. But Yongbok ignored it, instead skipping along and standing in front of Changbin. The shorter halts, glaring at the freckled prince with a sigh.