5. Not Right

You've been allowed upstairs for a month now. You'd help Sangwoo with taking care of Yoonbum's injuries because Sangwoo typically takes his anger out on Yoonbum more so than you. But sometimes you get in the crossfire or do something wrong yourself. And even if you are perfectly behaving, he still hurts you so you can't leave. There's times where the both of them leave home and you are alone. 

One day, Sangwoo's out of the house. You turn to Yoonbum while cleaning and ask, "Do you ever think about leaving?" He looks at you, shocked. He responds, "No, I don't." "Why not?" you asked. He replies, "My life wasn't that great before Sangwoo. I like Sangwoo. And at first, I did think about leaving. But now, I can't live without him." You get kind of confused because Sangwoo would usually hurt and play with Yoonbum. 

You were just another person in the house, but they were an abusive couple. Sangwoo likes to repeat he's not gay, but very often him and Yoonbum have intercourse and seem to be in a relationship. You ask Bum, "Want to leave?" His eyes widened, "W-why would you say that?" You roll your eyes, "We can go live together. You're my best friend, and I bet I'm yours! You deserve better than Sangwoo, even if you say you can't live without him. You can!" 

You reach up to cup his bruised face, "He doesn't actually love and care for you like you might think Bum. We can go." He thinks for a bit. "Ok," he whispers. "Really?" you ask him in excitement. "Yeah," he replied. You get happy and you guys start planning. But in the middle of planning he says, "I changed my mind, I cant leave. I don't wanna leave Sangwoo." You frown but understand that Bum was attached. 

You sigh and say, "That's ok. Just don't snitch on me please." He smiles and nods his head. You guys go back to cleaning and wait for Sangwoo to come home. While the two of you sit on the floor, you look Bum up and down: the purple green bruises sprawled everywhere, wretched smell on him from lack of proper hygiene, discolouration all over him, ankles swelled from the beatings, skin coming off because Sangwoo makes him handle chemicals from his other victims, and so much more. Its sad to see this. 

Eventually, the door opens and Sangwoo walks in. He seems pissed off, very pissed off. "Hi Sang-" you say but get cut off when he slaps you in the face. You and Bum were in shock. This was the first time he ever did anything to you like this, out of the blue. Bum asks him, "What's wrong?" 

Sangwoo turns around furious, "Both of you are whats wrong! I got the police investigating the SHIT out of me because of you guys. Don't you feel bad for what inconveniences you two are for me? But I cant just kill you guys! Its too easy and you guys are just so sad. It's no fun!" You and Bum look at each other not knowing what to do. "I'm sorry," both of you say, looking down. 

You say, "Whatever we've done, we are so sorry. We didn't mean to cause you trouble." Sangwoo pushes both of you to the ground and yells, "GO IN THE BASEMENT!" You obey and go down. He shuts and locks the door. You and Yoonbum sit in silence. You ask, "What's gotten into him?" Bum responds, "I wonder what we did. I feel so bad." 

I mumble, "This isn't right." Bum is blaming himself and feeling bad for something he doesn't even know about. He's a victim who's completely fooled by Sangwoo, and I could probably escape by myself. But if I do that, I'd be leaving Bum here to fend for himself with the aftermath.