Chapter Nine

Sitting in the car with Isobel in the passenger seat is weird; it brings back memories of where I am in the backseat and Reece is sitting where I am now, but every time I glance out of my rear windows I see Reece sitting in the back seat, smiling away at me. As I pull into the gravel driveway, I notice Mums car in there also as well as the living room light on full beam. Leaving my bag in the boot, I open the door for Isobel to exit the car and come inside.

"I still have my key, but it doesn't seem appropriate to use it anymore," she says while breathing in the scent of our home; lavender and burnt cinnamon.

"Mum I have brought someone home for dinner?"

"I hope it's a familiar face," Mum replies as she heads towards the front porch. When she sees Isobel she almost runs and embraces her in a tight hug.

"Oh my." I leave the females to deal with the emotional stuff as I head towards the kitchen to make dinner. Looking into the pantry, I decide to make chicken pasta. Putting the kettle on, I hear sniffles of tears coming from the lounge room, glad I left them to do that I think to myself.

"You did good, she's hurting."

"Reece, she's hurting because you left her," I reply with a hint of aggression.

"That isn't the whole story."

"Then tell me the whole story because I'm here picking up the pieces of your broken girlfriend."

"I wish I could put her pieces together, but I can't."

"No shit sherlock," I yell. I cover my mouth immediately with my hand and regret raising my voice that high; people are going to see him.

"Only you can see me," Reece says, as if her can read my thoughts which enrages me more.

"Tim, are you okay in there?" Mum yells from the other end of the house.

"Yeah, I'm alright."

Iwalk over to the fridge and pull out three chicken breasts and sharpen my knifeand begin chopping into equal rectangles. I prepare and onion and some garlicand place all three ingredients into a soaring hot pan, with the pasta boilingrapidly alongside it.