1

"Kill him, now."
"I can't."
"Listen to me. Kill him or you'll regret it later."
She pushed the button. The bullet hit the guy and he died.
"Yes! Finally we won!"
She let out an exasperated sigh.
"It was really hard. I can't possibly kill someone like that."
"Relax. It's just a game. It's not like you killed a real person, is it?"
She looked at him with a small smile and nodded.
"Well it's getting late. I should probably go now."
"Should I come with you? It's dark and it might be dangerous."
"No, it's fine. Your sister is going to come home, right?"
"Yeah she is. But I still insist on coming with you."
" No no. It's fine, really. I'll be alright."
"Well then take care."
"Yeah I will. Good bye."
She waved at him and left the house.
It was getting dark. The sun has set and stars started illuminating the dimly lit sky. There was a cold breeze blowing. It was almost winter.
"Rita!"
She stopped in her tracks and turned around.
"Kamal?"
Panting hard, he reached her and handed her a bag.
"You forgot the kitchen supplies."
"Yeah, right! Thank you for giving it to me."
"You're welcome. You should probably go now."
"Yeah I will. Thank you once again."
"Sure."
He then walked away and left her alone.
"I should go now."
She turned around and started walking. Rita lives in the outskirts of the town. Many think that it's dangerous there but she doesn't think so as nothing dangerous ever happened there. Her friend Kamal lives 3 streets away from her. The streets are pretty big in this town, so 3 streets usually means 2 km of distance. She goes to his house sometimes to play video games or to have a chat with his sister. His sister, Rithika, is a nurse. She is a beautiful and a really kind woman. She is usually busy during the day, but she sometimes stays at home due to the change of her shifts. Today she doesn't have a night shift so she will probably be at home early.
"I wonder what I should do after going home..."
The street lights started flickering. One of them turned off.
"Ugh. These damn street lights. No matter how many times we complain, they don't change them."
She started walking fast as it became too dark.
As she was walking, she thought she heard some muffled noises. She stopped. They were coming from the nearby alley. She moved closer to hear it more clearly. It was a woman. She hid by the wall of a house nearby and peeked into the alley. Her eyes widened. She held her mouth, her hands trembling.
"Rithika..."
"Shut up you idiot woman or you will die a painful death!"
"No! Please leave me!"
There were some men surrounding her. One of them pulled her hair back harshly. She screamed in pain but another one grabbed her mouth.
"You better stop screaming and tell us where it is. Or else you'll die."
She struggled trying to get away from his grip. Tears started flowing from her eyes as she winced in pain.
"Tell us now!", The man bellowed.

She shook her head as a response to him.
"So you'll be like that, huh?"
He slapped her face hard and threw her onto the pipes nearby.
"Let's kill her."
"Stop!"
The men, startled, turned to the voice.
Rita faced them with her eyebrows furrowed and lips trembling. Her hands and legs were shaking with fear.
What should I do now?
"Well, well little missy. Trying to save this woman huh? You better run before we do something to you."
"Leave her alone!"
"So you won't listen."
He slowly walked towards her.
"Should we finish you off too, along with that witch?"
She was trembling, her eyes wide with fear and confusion. She looked here and there trying to find something to defend herself with. Then she realised that she was carrying a bag of kitchen supplies. She searched through it and found a knife. It was a sharp one.
"What are you doing?"
He quickened his pace to stop her. Before he could grab her, she pushed the knife into his gut. His eyes widened in shock and before he knew it, he was on the ground. After a few seconds, his breathing stopped.
Rita stood there stupefied, and her breath unsteady, unable to process what she just did.
The other man who was holding Rithika started running towards her, roaring like a bull. She positioned herself towards him, holding the knife steadily. And when he reached her, she tried to push the knife, but he slid to his right and held her arm. She struggled to get out of his grip but he held her strong and threw the knife out of her hands. She pulled her arm out of his grip, and ran to her bag to search for any other weapon she might use. She found a ladle. It was a big one.  She hit with it hard on his head as he approached her. The man put his hands on his head and fell down, wincing in pain. She then rushed to get her knife back. The man got up, and started walking towards her with unusual steps, and as he got close to her, she pushed it straight into his chest. And within a second, he was down.

She threw the knife aside, breathing heavily, and drenched in sweat. Her hands and legs were still trembling. She didn't know how she did it, but she did. She killed two men. With her bare hands. Her heart froze just at the thought of it. She looked at the two men lying beside, cold and dead. She slumped down and closed her eyes.

Oh god, what have I done.

"Rita..."

She opened her eyes. Rithika was still there. she stood up and quickly ran towards her.

"Rithika! Are you alright?"

She nodded.

"Thanks to you, Rita. You saved my life."

"I'm glad you're safe. let me get you out of here."

"I called Kamal while you were dealing with them. He should be here in any moment now."

"Didi!"

Kamal rushed to his sister and hugged her tight.

"I'm glad your safe."

He turned to Rita.

"I can't thank you enough for saving my sister, Rita."

Rita smiled at Kamal, reassuringly.

"We should get out of here. I called the police. They will be here in a few minutes."

Both girls nodded. Kamal took his sister out of the alley. Rita took her bags and started to leave. As she turned to her side, she glanced at something shiny and black. She squinted her eyes to look at it more clearly. It was a pen drive. She didn't know whose it was. Probably Rithika's. But she has already left. She then decided to give it back tomorrow.

She arrived at her house, exhausted. Her parents were still not at home. Sighing, she threw the bags on the sofa and slumped down beside it. She thought about what she did earlier. She saved a person. But she killed two others. Her mind was in a turmoil. She put her hand over her head, leaning back on the sofa. The pen drive. She took out the pen drive. It was black and shiny with a crystal.

"I wonder what's there in this."

Curious, she got up and went to her room. She sat by her computer and plugged the pen drive in.

There was a folder. It was named 'confidential'. She clicked on it to see what it contained. There were some files. One of them was named deals. She clicked on it. As soon as she read the first line, her heart stopped. Her eyes widened with shock. It was a drug dealing contract. Apparently, Rithika was involved in it. There was another file containing the details of a person. Rithika was contracted to drug this person and kill him. Then she remembered something. One of the men asked Rithika to give something to them. So this was it. They were trying to stop her. Then, she realized, she did wrong by saving her.

As Rita was staring at the screen, blankly, there was a creak. Of the door. Light footsteps were being heard. Rita turned her head to see who it was. The next moment, her face turned pale. She was horrified. A gun pointed to her forehead. 

"Well, well, Rita. "

The footsteps got closer to her. the gun was pressed onto her forehead now.

"I didn't want to harm you. But you give me no choice. You learned the truth. So I can't leave you alone now."

She slowly pulled the trigger, with her lips curled into a smirk.

"Farewell, my saviour."

The trigger returned back to its original position. The shot has been fired. The body fell down from the chair, lying dead on the cold floor.

The woman smiled to herself.

"No one can stop me now. Good job Rithika."

Praising herself and feeling satisfied, she slipped out of the room, placing the gun into her pocket. She got out of the house and began walking. There was a low buzz. Her phone. She smiled as she saw the caller ID. She put the phone to her ear.

"Everything's alright now. Don't worry."

She then hung up and placed the phone back into her pocket. She sighed, contented, and assured that no one is going to find her secret. Ever.