Chapter 2

After the cops leave his doorway Louis spends the evening talking himself into showing up for work and adding to the collection of cigarette butts on his apartment fire escape. If he doesn't show Niall will call him, and he doesn't know if he could get away with some half-assed excuse on a man he considers in most ways a friend. That way of thinking is confusing though, because Niall works for Harry, and has worked for him much longer than he's known Louis. So if Harry's really... Well whatever he's doing, Niall's a part of it. They're all in on it. His stomach twists and he's rather grateful there's nothing left in it.

By the time it's well and truly dark he slips into the club quietly, glad for his small stature and the skill he's acquired for walking feather light, unseen on the edges of the room. Neon lights and low bass do nothing to distract his mind.

Allegations. What did that even mean? Did they have proof, or were they throwing something out there and hoping it would stick? Why would they come to Louis' door? They must have spoken to someone else. Louis' eyes scan through the dark room and linger over every face, a handful of known employees and regulars, but too many to count remain nameless. Harry didn't usually approach him at work anymore, a few quick exceptions here and there, but since they're scheduled Tuesdays Louis has spent every hour he was being paid earning it on the floor. Who saw them together?

Had they shown him their badges? He can't recall. He'd been too worried about it having something to do with girls, and then he'd spent most of his focus not punching them in their condescending little faces. Secrets get you killed in this world, that much he knows. Goddamnit, if it's a test then he needs to make a decision. Quickly.

After possibly the worst shift of his career Louis is no closer to quelling the uncertainty buzzing like a hornets nest in the pit of his stomach and his annoyance for having to keep flicking hair out of his eyes is not helping. Filled with unsettled energy he slaps the door to the back hall open, pissed off for no particular reason to find it orange. Why can't they just fucking choose a colour and be done with it.

Not until he's swiped his hair back from his face does he see Liam standing guard outside of the office, and that's great. Perfect. Harry's here. And because Louis has a penchant for making bad decisions he leans against the wall opposite of the good little soldier. The cool brick raises goosebumps on the bare skin of his back.

"Don't tell me, Harry's finally taken your advice and moved on with Niall."

Liam's face is more impassive than a Buckingham Guard. Although he'd been right, the office walls do muffle sound much better than a storeroom, it doesn't stop Louis from catching the muted cacophony of chaos that erupted behind it's door, something falling or being thrown before the booming of male voices escalates. Louis' eyebrows lift in surprise. Maybe he'd been spot on, but he hadn't taken Niall for the aggressive type.

Liam gives him a bone, "Family reunion."

As if on cue the door flies open.

"Zayn," Louis' never heard Harry's voice cut like that, filled with rage.

A man, the gangster with the pretty eyelashes, rips past Louis and Liam and out of sight. Louis looks into the office and sees Niall leaning against the desk with crossed arms and an absolutely livid Harry. They are the room's only occupants. Louis looks back at where the man stormed off. Zayn. He feels like he's being tricked.

That guy? He's supposed to believe the walking tattoo advertisement that looks like he's never seen a dimple in his life is Harry's brother?

He shakes his head and breathes through his nose. Okay, sure, go with it Louis. Don't ask questions, do what you're told, get the fuck out of here once the chances of a bullet to the back is less then ninety percent. As soon as the thought crosses his mind he realises it's his only real option. He needs to get out.