Autumn Leaves

A lone leaf traveled alone, desperately wanting to witness the first day of Winter and bask under the shower of snow

There's no time to waste, she thought.

While on her way to the mountains, a snowflake bumped onto her.

Autumn froze at the sudden contact, surprised and pained simultaneously.

"Are you alright? I'm sorry." The snowflake attempted to touch her, but she dodged.

"Don't come close. I'm fine." Her voice trembled. Snowflake only intended to warm her, but he—himself—is very cold.

"I'm leaving. Safe trip," Autumn politely said then left. She ran towards the mountains, not minding her stem that's going to collapse any minute.

Unbeknownst to Autumn, Snowflake tailed her.

Night came; Autumn's drained from traveling all day. She settled underneath a tree to rest. A warm breeze embraced her; she almost flew away. Luckily, her back was leaning on the tree's trunk to support her.

Autumn doesn't feel cold anymore. The area was warmer than the streets of the town because it's closer to the sun.

When the air calmed down, Autumn searched for something to drink. She roamed around and squealed upon seeing a few droplets on the forest floor. She followed those droplets, but instead of seeing a water source, she saw a melting snowflake.

"Snowflake, what are you doing here? Aren't you aware the heat will melt you?"

"I-I know . . . but I fear being alone."

Autumn was surprised at his response. His lips quivered as he tried to survive the agony he's going through. She was pained at the sight of a melting snowflake, so she leaned closer and wrapped her thin body around him.

Pain assaulted her as she felt the familiar agonizing temperature on her body. Autumn's afraid of the cold, yet she's hugging a snowflake!

How ironic.

"F-feeling better?"

"Yeah, but you're not fine."

Autumn acted fine and just continued hugging him, albeit it was too much for her to handle. When she couldn't endure it anymore, she withdrew from the hug. Snowflake immediately saw tiny frozen fractals on her face. Autumn almost died because of that.

It must be because of me. Snowflake guiltily thought. In return, he took good care of her. Starting that night, the two became companies.

Their adventure continued the next day. Autumn could see Snowflake's struggle every time droplets on the floor appear. Every once in a while, she would hug him to cover his body from heat. And that meant enduring another pain.

When night fell, Autumn decided to ask a few questions: "Are you alone? How did you survive? Why are you here? "

"I was in the freezer for the past two seasons. My only goal is to make it to the next Winter to see my parents. Dad drowned in the flood last Spring; Mom melted last Summer. There's a myth: they will be reborn in the next winter, so I'm here to see them."

Autumn was left in awe. Then suddenly, a thought crossed her mind.

"Then stay in the town rather than with me. I need sun and you might melt in the process while we're getting there."

"Doesn't matter; I just want someone to be with, " Snowflake said.

There's a hint of disapproval in Autumn's face the next day, but she couldn't do anything to persuade Snowflake to return. They were getting closer to the sun, causing Snowflake to melt quicker than before.

Autumn tried to push him away, but Snowflake's adamant to stay.

"I want to be with you on the first day of winter."

Amidst their traveling, Autumn found something strange: a small white dot landed on her face. When she touched it, it quickly melted.

Winter is near.

Days passed; the temperature dropped. Autumn's struggling too much, but she can't give up now that only a few more steps are remaining.

It felt like the best day of her life when she reached the peak. Meanwhile, Snowflake, who's just below her, tried his best not to melt completely.

Autumn's smile faded when the light disappeared.

The sun's no longer here; it was engulfed by the thick clouds. Surprised by the change, Autumn was taken aback when it started snowing.

Snowflake regained his strength and when he could already move, he went to Autumn's place. At the sight of frozen Autumn, Snowflake felt thorns piercing his chest.

"Please wake up . . ."

Snowflake wished he could bend his body, so he could hug her like she always does, but he's a snowflake, he will break if he tries.

Autumn once opened her eyes; she smiled wistfully.

"It was nice to be with you on the first day of Winter."

Snowflake tightly held Autumn's frozen stem to make her stay in place, but as the wind grew stronger, Autumn realized she could never hold Snowflake anymore because all of her body parts were already frozen.

So when a strong wind from behind blew their place, Snowflake's grip on Autumn's stem broke.

And just like that, Autumn flew away from him before disappearing right before his eyes.

Autumn already left him. Autumn leaves.

 Autumn leaves