Chapter 5: Still Here

The shields shattered as they hit the water, but still managed to protect both the car and Baymax from most of the damage. They sank to the ocean floor, the car settling with a soft thunk on the sand. Hiro struggled with his seat belt for a moment before closing his eyes and using his telekinesis to free the mechanism. All six people streamed out of the car, looking a little disoriented. Hiro quickly started pulling Baymax's armor off with both his hands and mind.

     'Grab Baymax!' The brothers weren't sure who said it and they didn't care. Their friends hadn't seemed to realize that they'd heard speech underwater either. They all grappled onto the vinyl surface as Hiro pulled off the last of the armor, lifting them all to the surface.

     They broke through like a breaching whale, sputtering and coughing and just relieved to be breathing air.

     "I told you we'd make it!" Honey Lemon said cheerfully. The others were still too busy breathing to do more than stare.

     "Your injuries require my attention," Baymax said, scanning them all, "and your body temperatures are low."

     "We should get out of here," Hiro said, shivering. Tadashi hugged him closer, trying desperately to send him his warmth.

     Fred made a face, waggling his eyebrows. "I know a place."

     They shivered as they walked, all soaked to the bone. There wasn't much talking, mostly just the occasional 'turn here' and 'right over there' from Fred. Not even Tadashi and Hiro had much to say, out loud or silently. But Tadashi could feel Hiro's mood shifting as they walked. He was slowly drawing into himself, and Tadashi wasn't sure why. Tadashi fidgeted with his hat in his hands. He didn't remember grabbing it when they were swimming out of the car, but he'd had it in his hand when they broke the surface.

     The next time Tadashi looked up, they were in a fancy neighborhood.

     "Where are we?" Honey Lemon asked, eyeing the nice houses and manicured lawns.

     Fred said nothing, just turning and walking up another sidewalk to the steps of the biggest house on the street.

     The others hung back on the sidewalk, unsure. "Fred," Hiro whispered. "Wh-Where are you going?"

     Fred turned at the door, looking back at them in confusion. "Oh." He straightened with a grin, throwing his arms wide. "Welcome to mi casa. That's French for 'front door'."

     They just blinked at him.

     "It's really... not." Honey Lemon tilted her head, looking at her friend in concern.

     "Listen, nitwit. A lunatic in a mask just tried to kill us." Go Go was shaking, but Tadashi wasn't sure if it was the cold or her growing rage. "I'm not in the mood for any-"

     The door swung open to reveal a tall butler. "Welcome home, Master Frederick."

     Fred turned to him with a wide grin. "Heathcliff, my man!"

     Go Go froze, her words lost in the incredulity of the moment. Everyone just stared at Fred and Heathcliff, hardly daring to believe what they were seeing.

     "Come on in, guys. We'll be safe in here." Fred turned back to the butler, raising his fist in the air between them. "Gimme some."

     They shared a fist bump, and Fred just walked in the door. They followed him one by one, only Baymax taking Heathcliff up on the offered fist. They looked around, taking in the large foyer.