ONE

ANGELOU
" never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option "

THERE WAS A GIRL SITTING ALL BY HERSELF IN THE CORNER OF THE ROOM. She was dressed in what one could easily tell was her best dress — the material made of expensive fabric stitched together by a handsomely paid fashion designer; her hair was woven intricately atop her head with wisps framing her face; and a bottle of wine had been popped open for her table set for two — yet only her glass was filled repeatedly after she'd down it.

     Something about the woman compelled him to approach her — perhaps alleviate her situation, except he didn't want to offer any unwanted pity or sympathy. The cutting gaze of hers seemed to already shoot him down before he'd even opened his mouth.

Twenty minutes turned to thirty, and thirty turned to forty-five. Nobody showed up. His own companion had arrived five minutes ago — just when he'd debated leaving his own table to ask if she'd fancy some company.

" — and it would be a great honour if you would take the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts for this year's term."

He was nodding absentmindedly, eyes still sliding over to the now-slightly-scowling young woman who was drumming her manicured nails against the table. "Yes, of course, Professor Dumbledore, I would definitely — wait . . . ," he trailed off, snapping his gaze back to the older wizard. He blinked, shell-shocked upon realizing what he'd just been offered. "Surely you don't think the staff and students would be very much inclined to the fact that I'm — " he coughed, mumbling the rest of the words to himself as though realizing they were in a public place.

     Albus Dumbledore smiled kindly — there was nothing but light in those blue eyes of his. "Remus," he said gently like he always does ever since he's been his student. "Perhaps it's time to stop belittling yourself and have a little faith that things might turn out better than you expected, yes?"

Remus avoided the Headmaster's stare, not even realizing he'd resorted to watching the girl again — the way she swirled the wine inside her glass. He was quiet for a moment before he mumbled, "What did they say when they found out you were planning on hiring me?"

"The entire staff of Hogwarts are well-aware of your . . . condition," Dumbledore said, making Remus's lips quirk up to a wry smirk, "and they've unanimously agreed that there would be no problem as long as you're taking the proper precautions necessary."

Remus let loose a puff of breath, about to give the older man his undivided attention once more were it not for the boy that approached her table, sliding into the seat across of hers. Brown hair, gray eyes, and similar aristocratic arches of their eyebrows — they were siblings for certain. Twins, most likely.

"Ah, perhaps it was my mistake to say it was unanimous," Dumbledore said, but Remus was only half-listening. He nodded, urging him to talk more as he found it to be a psychological hack to make people assume you were still paying attention.

The boy was saying something that upset her — Remus could tell from the scowl beginning to form in her face as she turned her head aside to indicate stubbornness. He wondered what they were talking about.

"Only one person was adamant I change my mind on the matter. I believe your memory still serves you well on Severus, your fellow Hogwarts alumni?"

Remus jerked slightly in his seat, nearly gaining himself a whiplash with how fast he'd looked at Dumbledore. "Snape is working at Hogwarts?" he repeated, unable to fathom the possibility on how ridiculous fate was.

"Yes."

     "Snape as in Severus Snape? Snape from Slytherin? The one who was rather fond with his Potions set Snape?"