6 - DOORS OF THE MIND

There were some things Daisuke Kambe was able to ponder up on the spot. He could think of it and understand it right away, knowing its contents and evaluating it with the assistance of his very own tech. Well, the tech wasn't his - it was his family's. His father's. Designed to help innovate and expand the way artificial intelligence could work and be perceived all around the world. The thing was, his kind of tech was reserved for him and him only. It was HEUSC, his AI butler. His helper. His diagnose in the field of disease. His everything, if he had nothing.

HEUSC was able to tell him anything he asked for. He could snap his fingers and everything he wanted would be in front of him.

Well, not wanted.

He didn't want anything.

He had the knowledge of the universe at his fingertips, able to render the concept of 'money' genuinely useless. A couple million dollars was nothing more than just a few sheets of paper. A gold coin was nothing more than mineral.

How could he want something when he didn't have the ambition to work for it?

How could he want - yearn - for the satisfaction of gaining something, when all he had to do was tap his earring and ask? How could he, the man without balance, not have the knowledge of the world?

He didn't know.

So why did he want to know so much about you?

Perhaps it was curiosity that dragged him to the same conclusion. He had never been able to be dumbfounded by something before; he had never not known about everything. Yet, here you were, a seemingly open box with hidden contents.

He didn't know you, and that's why he was so afraid.

HEUSC was his lifeline. His saviour in the times where even he could feel afraid of confused. It was the fundamentals of his daily routine and the reason he could get what he wanted.

The thing was, his machine could tell him about you - your information - but not about you

The words repeating back to him echoed in his head each time he'd ask his robotic companion about who you were, and each time he'd get the same information. (Y/n) (L/n), an Officer at the place he just so happened to work at. The Inspector - his partner.

It was what he asked for, but not what he wanted.

He knew deep down that his machine could not tell him everything. His machine could not dive deep into the depths of your inner workings and your thoughts and relay it back to him just like any other time. His machine could not do the task of knowing you. It had the backdrops; it had the words, meaningless in the end, but it did not have you

He supposed it was the simple sense of curiosity that kept him wanting.

What he wanted exactly was beyond even his own thoughts - all he knew he wanted was to understand you like he understood everything else. Any other person showed their contents bare and fresh; the looks in their faces able to determine even the slightest personality trait. Through the way they show their hair or their face or their style. They expressed themselves - you didn't. 

You kept the fundamentals exposed; your name, your smile.. your job. What you didn't show was what you wanted. You had an approach that made him look in a mirror and wonder if he was really all that different. 

In a way, he saw himself in you - even if it were the slightest bit.

Both of you had been through something neither wanted to think about; yet even after a considerable amount of time, it hung off you like a leech. It tugged at any sense of identity you might have. It pulled away your unique qualities, stripping you bare to nothing but a blank slate.