Chapter Six: Failures

Br'aad had false tears trailing down his face for far too long. They needed to find Sylnan. He really didn't care much for Hilltree anyways, he wasn't a good fight.

The ashes of the goblin's broken form were cleaned from the floors after the 'Fated' had said their words of grief.

Mountain ordered them about, telling them what to bring and where each group should look.

Br'aad had been paired with Taxi. it wouldn't be hard to tell the cat what to do. They made their way outside. Br'aad waved Taxi over to where Sylnan had 'landed', blood splattered.
"Looks like a harsh landing." Taxi mumbled. Br'aad carefully studied the red mess until he noted the blood that traced the side of the wall.

"This way." He motioned his hand. Soon, Sylnan would fall. He was so close. Br'aad's green eyes locked onto the blood across the front of a building. Most of it had been cleaned off but it was still easy enough to see. The trail ended with the gravel that was constantly kicked about by travellers.

"Let's cross." Br'aad nodded across the street. An inn sat at the end of the street while another was next to a tavern a little ways down it. After they had crossed, Br'aad gazed up at the windows. Mostly humans stared back, a few halflings, then there was a familiar half-elf in the closet inn. He gave a glance to make sure Taxi wasn't looking. The half-elf took notice of the blond below him. Br'aad let his eyes flicker the purple Sylnan so despised. "You run head to the other inn, I'll check out this one."

"O-okay." Taxi edged away to the furthest. Easy enough.

Br'aad raced inside the building, Taxi far away now.

"Sir! What are you-?" He shoved aside a woman who tried to block his path to the stairs. He pushed tables out of his path. He was up the small flight of stairs in no time. Which room, which room.

"Sir? Sir? Can I help you?" Workers called out.

Which door, which door. It was a corner window. Sylnan would jump out the side soon. He needed to be quick. Quick. Quick. Quick.

Room twelve would make sense for the window placement. He didn't even give a courtesy knock.

He shot a blast into the door of arconic energy, shattering it to pieces. Gasps came from the crowd of people who were gathered at his chaos.

"YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ME, SYLNAN." He rushed into the room, a figure leaped from the window. Br'aad followed suit.

Br'aad rolled from the fall behind Sylnan. Sylnan's cloak billowed in the winds of their running. Br'aad took notice of the limp in one of Sylnan's legs. He could easily catch him. Sylnan looked back, his chest quickly rising and falling with his strides. The pain of running on whatever injuries he had gotten were slowing him down.

Sylnan turned back to the world in front of him. Br'aad released his hold on the spell that made it seem as though his tattoos weren't purple and that his eyes were their natural green.
"You can't run for long, dear brother."

Sylnan stopped for a split second, then jumped up on a window. He flinched. Br'aad saw it.

Br'aad climbed up behind him.

"Br'aad, please." Sylnan begged. Br'aad smiled. How foolish, to think a few words would stop Br'aad from what he must do. Br'aad took a few steps forwards, his eyes locked onto his brother's.

"Sylnan, please." He mocked, ripping a dagger from its sheath. Sylnan sucked in a breath, turning back to running.

He grabbed hold of the long flowing cloak, trying to choke his older brother. Sylnan cut it loose with the blade Br'aad had stabbed him with.

Br'aad should have taken Sylnan's life when he could, but it was much for fun to watch him realise his brother wasn't coming back and his friends knew he was a killer.

Br'aad smiled at the thought of the horror in his dark eyes. He noticed the slowing pace of Sylnan as they leaped from rooftop to rooftop to window sill to roof to roof. Sylnan slid down from a smaller building into the back alley. Br'aad followed, landing by his side.

Br'aad stopped for a second to catch his breath as Sylnan caught his too.

"Please." Sylnan's voice sounded pained as he looked to his brother. Another wasted breath.

"Don't waste the few words you have left, dear brother."

Sylnan stood up straighter. Br'aad's eyes flickered to where he adjusted his dagger.

"Bold of you to assume these are my last words." He lunged forwards.