twelve.

while flying on appa, kierah and katara are studying a waterbending scroll, trying to decide what to teach aang next.

"hey aang," sokka asks, looking up from sharpening his machete. "why are we going down?"

kierah looks over to aang when he doesn't respond.

"aang," sokka tries again, slightly louder this time. "are we going down for a reason?"

"what?"aang says, as if he is snapped out of a trance. "oh, i didn't even notice."

"is something wrong?" katara asks him, moving to the front of the saddle.

"this might sound weird, but i think the swamp is calling to me." aang gestures to the swamp they were flying over.

"is it telling you where we can get something to eat?" sokka asks as his stomach growls.

"no." aang says. "i think...i think it wants us to land there."

"no offense to the swamp," sokka says. "but it doesn't look like there's any land for us to land on."

"but bumi said to learn earthbending i would have to wait and listen, and now i'm actually hearing the earth. am i just supposed to ignore it?"

they all peer over the side of Appa's saddle at the swamp.

"yes," sokka says.

"yeah, i don't know, aang. something seems off about that place," kierah says.

"it feels almost...ominous," katara adds.

"see, even appa and momo don't like it here," sokka says as appa groans and momo hides in the saddle.

"okay," aang says. "since everyone feels so strongly about this, bye swamp. appa, yip yip."

appa starts flying up, away from the swamp, when a tornado appears out of nowhere, headed right for them.

"you better throw in an extra yip!" sokka says, panicked. "we gotta move!"

appa speeds up, but he isn't fast enough to get away. when the tornado gets closer, the wind pulls sokka right out of the saddle. luckily, katara is able to grab his hand before he falls. aang then creates an air shield around appa, and sokka falls back into the saddle safely.

despite aang's air shield, they are still sucked into the tornado. the air shield stops them from flying off of appa, but it is quickly shrinking. appa's leg goes through the bottom of the shield, breaking it. they all fall off of appa, into muddy water.

"ugh." kierah stands up, rubbing her head.

"wait, where are appa and momo?" aang asks. he jumps up to the top of the trees, looking for them. "appa! momo!"

"sokka, you've got an elbow leech," katara says, pointing at his elbow.

"where? where?" sokka spins around frantically.

"where do you think?" kierah asks him, crossing her arms.

"why do things keep attaching to me?" sokka finds the leech, and rips it off.

aang swings back down to the ground on a vine.

"you couldn't find them?" katara asks him.

"no," aang says. "and the tornado, it just disappeared."

they all stand there, glancing around at the swamp surrounding them.

"well, i guess we just try to find our way out of here," kierah says after a moment.