the test

"Why does Feeny always grade so hard?" Jess complained, gazing down at her 'B-' with distaste

"He's been an educator for a very long time Jess, I think he's got every right. Plus, you wouldn't study with me," Madison said with a singsongy voice. 

"Okay Miss A+ on everything," Jess growled. 

Madison giggled along with Jess as they waited for Candace to finish trading spit with her boyfriend. Troy Arden, the boy she took to the turnaround dance, and Candace had now been inseparable - even over Christmas break when Madison and Jess wanted to hang out with their best friend. It felt like they were back in middle school, where boys overtook Candace's life. 

"Can-Can! Let's go! We're gonna be late for history and we don't want to get murdered!" Jess gruffly shouted. 

Candace pulled away from Troy and flashed them the dirtiest look she could muster. The pair whispered to each other for a moment before one last kiss. Candace met them halfway on their walk to Feeny's. 

"I can't believe you would embarrass me with that awful nickname," Candace protested as they found their seats. 

"Welcome to the club," Madison muttered as she spotted Eric. 

They hadn't spoken at all since the dance, which wasn't that surprising anyways. It wasn't like they had ever been friends. Sure, sometimes she missed having her presence be acknowledged by him, but that was history now. 

History class passed by quickly, with some students hanging on to Feeny's every word and others very much asleep in the back of the class. Madison loved Mr. Feeny's history lectures, as she admired his wide vocabulary and calming voice, and was glad he was a new addition to the school. He certainly helped bring her average up. 

"Thursday's examination will include everything up to the French Revolution," Mr. Feeny announced as the end of class drew near. 

Madison hastily wrote this down in the margin of her notes. She didn't want to overstudy. 

"Uh, excuse me? Will we have to know who won?" Eric inquired. 

Madison almost turned around to scoff at him, but she remembered they weren't on speaking, or looking, terms. Don't be an idiot. 

"Yes, you will need to know who won and by how much," Mr. Feeny responded dryly. 

The sharp noise of the bell quickly emptied the room, with Madison and her friends almost leaving last. They had to rush off to english, but she realized she had forgotten the most important thing - the book. 

"You guys go, I'll catch up," Madison told, beelining to her locker. 

Her movements were made with haste as she fiddled with the lock. Of course now that she needed something it was going to be difficult.