Chapter 2: Hungry Reporters

Ceylan

The next couple of hours flew by without my notice. One moment Savvy was helping me settle into my new bedroom and the next, the living room had been turned into a small fashion house. Savvy’s stylist kept shoving dresses into my hands and my best friend made it her business to disagree with each one I tried.

“At this rate, I’ll end up wearing my old clothes to the party.”

Brenda glanced at the last standing rack. “There are still a few more dresses to try on.”

I ran my hand over the long satin blue flowy dress I was currently in. “This looks okay. Could I just...” The look Savvy gave me was enough to shut me up. There was no point in arguing with her when she had that look.

“Ceylan, we are not settling for just ‘okay’.” She left her position on the couch for the first time since we’d started this ‘fashion show’. Rummaging through the armful of dresses in the untouched rack, she pulled out the emerald-green one. “Here.” She shoved it in my hands. “Try this.”

I sighed in frustration. “Why do I always have to do what you say.”

“Because I’m always right and some people may even say I’m smarter.”

I rolled my eyes. “But the same thing can’t be said about your height.”

She gave me the same treatment. I never missed a chance to rub it in her face that I was five inches taller than her, especially when she’d always wished to add at least two inches to her five-feet-two. My height was the first compliment she ever gave me and the first words she uttered to me when we first crossed paths in college. “Just go try it on.”

Securing a huge chunk of the blue dress in my hand, I walked back to my room to change.

“What do you think?” I asked, walking out a few minutes later.

When Savvy caught a glimpse of me in what felt like the hundredth dress I’d tried this evening, she smiled. Moving to the other end of the room, she picked up a pair of black heels from the pile Brenda had brought along. “Put these on.”

I obliged.

Then she spun her finger in a circle, forcing me to twirl. When I caught my image in the large dressing mirror, I beamed. “Now that…” I sucked in a breath.

“You are welcome.” There was nothing short of pride in her voice.

“That is a perfect fit, Ms. Aslan.” Brenda admired the dress on me. “It brings out the green in your eyes.”

“It is. It does.” I studied myself one more time. I looked nothing short of stunning. The off-shoulder silk dress clanged to all my curves, making my waist look smaller than normal. Mid-thighs, the skirt fell loose, causing the fabric to float as I twirled.

“Thank you. If you weren’t destined to be the CEO of Ross Group, you would make a great stylist.”

“My mother would be mortified by just the thought of that.”

“I promise to never mention this to her.”

“I’ll start packing my things,” the stylist said.

“How much is everything? How should I make my payment? Is a check, okay?”

“Charge everything on my account,” Savvy replied before Brenda got a chance to. “This is my welcome home gift.”

I nodded.

“Now let’s get ready for the party.”

Two hours later, Savvy and I were standing outside Ross Tower, waiting for the limousine taking us to the hotel to pull over.