chapter ten

the hufflepuffs were cold to the gryffindors from then on, but i thought it was dramatic. of course i wanted cedric to win, but i didn't think harry should be shamed for having his name drawn. after all, it wasn't his fault, was it?

the next week passed by quickly. i ate lunch outside with cedric every day, and his stress was only seeming to go up. however, he was very engaged with me. he asked me every possible question about my life, and told me all about his family. we stayed up late in the common room every night, and i helped him practice his spells while i did my homework.

i slumped down in my chair after dinner for my other potions detention, and malfoy glanced over at me from where he was already sitting. "so," he trailed. "you and diggory, huh? you're official?"

"i don't know where you heard that, because it isn't true." i said smoothly. it wasn't. cedric and i weren't official. we were just.... a thing. not that i didn't want to make it official. i just didn't want to overwhelm him with it at the moment. draco rummaged in his pocket and pulled something out.

"here."he handed it to me. it was a gold button that shined the words, 'SUPPORT CEDRIC DIGGORY- THE REAL HOGWARTS CHAMPION'. i raised an eyebrow. "you made this?"

he nodded. "thought you'd want one, since you're in love with him and all." i rolled my eyes. "there has to be some- of course." i had pressed the button, and the words disappeared, leaving the words 'POTTER STINKS' in green. "very funny, malfoy." i tried to hand him back the button, but he refused it.

"no, i think you need it, katherine."

"don't-,"

"got to keep up appearances, don't you? come on."

i scowled, taking the button and pinning it to my chest, making sure it shined cedric's name. draco let out a laugh. "so, how'd you and diggory get together, anyway?"

i rolled my eyes, but his words weren't vicious. "not anything special. mutual friends. we like each other."

"so... you are dating, then?"

"no. not officially, at least." i tried to force the blush off my cheeks, and draco smirked at me. "hmm."

"what about you, draco?" i asked, and he scowled.

"don't call me-,"

"who are you dating?" i questioned, and he frowned, raising an eyebrow at me. "what's it to you, katherine?" i rolled my eyes, dusting off one of the bottles as i did so. "curious. if you're gonna question me about my life, i might as well question you about yours. not that i care. you don't have to tell me. i honestly pity the girl who would date you."

he rolled his eyes. "fine. pansy parkinson."

my eyes widened. "that bitchy girl? the one with the dark hair? i thought you guys broke up?" draco shook his head. "i don't know. it's confusing. we're not really dating. she's just obsessed with me, and i like her boobs."

"ew, draco. don't say that."

"hasn't diggory seen yours?" he asked incredulously, and i gasped, crossing my arms over my chest. "what? no! you're a creep, malfoy."

he raised his eyebrows once more. "yeah yeah, whatever you say. i know he wants in your pants."

"and why is that?" i snapped, my cheeks flaming.

"because... you're hot, katherine. and i think you know that. otherwise, why would you be the tease that you are?" he said, focused on sorting the bottles that were spread out in front of him.

i stared at him in shock as he dusted off his hands. "well, that's the last one. see you never, king." he stood up without another word, grabbed his bag, and slunk out of the dungeon, leaving me to wonder what the hell he meant by that.

-

the first task was quickly approaching, and cedric seemed more nervous than ever. i worried about him constantly, especially today. i kept close to him as we listened to jan, alfie, and a couple of cedric's friends gossip as we headed towards charms. "are you sure you're okay?" i asked him, biting my lip. he sighed.

"yes, kat. i've told you that. you need to worry less."

i flushed. "i just worry about you, ced." there was a small pause, and he kissed the top of my head. "i know. i'm okay."

suddenly, without warning, the bottom of cedric's bag split. things spewed everywhere. "fuck!" cedric cursed, bending down. "don't bother," cedric groaned as i bent down to help him pick things up. "tell flitwick i'm coming, go on..."

i frowned, but gave him a quick wave goodbye and hurried after jan into charms. we took a seat in the back of the class, and jan frowned. "didn't he just get that bag? that sucks ass." i shrugged.

a minute later, cedric slipped into the back of the class and dropped into the seat next to me, an unreadable expression on his face. "what's wrong?" i asked quickly, but cedric shook his head.

"i'll tell you later."

-

"DRAGONS?"

"i know." cedric puffed out a breath of air. "but how do i know he's not lying to me? he could be trying to throw me off the trail. either way, i'm just confused."

i leaned into his side. "well, either way... what's your plan?" cedric paused and thought for a second. "well... i'm not sure. i'm not allowed to bring anything into the rink other than my wand."

"what about..." i paused, racking my brain. "a distraction?" cedric's head shot up, and his eyes connected with mine. "what kind of distraction?"

i shrugged. "you could... say, transfigure something in the arena to distract this..." i gulped. "dragon, and that way you can do whatever task you need to do."

before i could react, cedric had kissed me right on the lips. i grinned as he leaned away. "you're the smartest person i've ever met, kat king. thank you!"

he jumped to his feet, bustling out of the room. i stared after him fondly, but my smile started to evaporate. what if my idea was a terrible one? what if he got terribly injured because of me?

i swallowed, pushing away my doubts. for now, my most important job was to support cedric. and that's what i would do.

-