Under the Rain

Trying to calm meself by trying to get back into writing. Here's another one shot that briefly talks about the significance of having someone when times get a bit tough. Of course, with Chris Evans as the main guy.

Hope you enjoy this tidbit of a story. - SS

------------------

She's at the back porch, her expression as gloomy as the clouds hovering above our New England home. No. Her eyes aren't spewing tears, but they're distant and dark.

She has left work early and I'm at home, with Dodger, just enjoying the downtime of not having to work on projects. On normal days, she would burst from the front door, a whole 5'6" of beaming sunshine. But not today. Today she sneaks into our backyard, sits her exhausted self on the porch's sofa and stares into the distance.

That's when I knew something was up. And when something was up, there would always be silence on her end. She would refuse to be enveloped in my warm arms because according to her "I'd disintegrate into a million little pieces and I don't want to do that." And along with her disintegrating into a million little pieces, her eyes would melt into infinite droplets of sorrow. It's something she never wanted to do.

She sits there, while I, calculating what my move would be. She wants to be left alone, as usual. But it always breaks my heart not being able to ease her pain every single time. I know deep within me, while the raindrops make melodious sounds as they touch the rooftop, I have to do something to clear the storm brewing within her.

Her sorrows are mine just as my light is hers. I pick up my archaic phone and bluetooth speaker and make my way towards the door to our backyard, Dodger tagging just behind.

She's deep in thought. She doesn't hear the sliding of the glass door. I sit a good half meter away from her, testing the waters. For a while, I'm merely beside her, both of us watching how the autumn light rain transforms into a moderate one.

I pretend not to notice that there's something bothering her. There's one song that she keeps playing recently and even had me save it to my phone. The tune plays as I connected my iPhone to the speaker.

I stretch out my left arm to her. "Let's dance, Trooper."

She doesn't stare back, merely blurts out my name in a slightly frustrated tone. "Chris..."

Despite her mood, I beam the sunniest smile. "What? It hasn't rained like this here for quite some time, pumpkin. And I clearly remember your bucket list. There's a few you haven't crossed out and one is to dance in the rain." I wink. "What say you?"

She groans. I sigh. "What is it that you always tell me?" Her forehead creases. "You always say, carpe diem, pumpkin... C'mon! We may never have a chance like this again." I extend my hand to her again.

Her weary mind is still visible but her eyes also show some positivity. She purses her lips. I am hopeful but I'm preparing for an unfavorable response from her, as well. Then, she presses her right palm over my outstretched hand.

I lead her out of the covered porch into our manicured lawn, the droplets of rain starting to soak us, from our scalp down to our shoes. She flipped her feet out of her heels and as I spin her to face me, she rests them atop my sneakers.

I slide my left palm to the small of her back, while my right marries with hers midair. She brushes her free hand over my damp hair strands as we sway to the beat of the music.

The weight on her shoulders is heavy and as distinct as her erratic heartbeat, which I feel courses from her caged chest to mine. So, still dancing with her, my right hand joins my left, as I encase her in my arms. "We will weather the storm together. Always," I mutter in a soft tone as a stare deep into her bright green eyes.

I know between the droplets of rain flowing freely are her own tears mixing with them. She reaches for the back of my head and pulls me so our lips would meet. Her kiss is loving and light. Mine, responsive and accepting.

"I will always be thankful you're beside me. Always," she whispers. When she rests her head on my chest, her heartbeat calms down to a normal pace. That's when I know she's home. In my arms, she will perpetually be home.