Chapter 24: Tendo's a Psychic?

Wakatoshi Ushijima walked into school feeling different than usual. It had been a few days since Hana had tutored him, and after his first study session, he was already beginning to see a difference in his math classes, and found himself looking forward to the next session with Hana.

After leaving her house that evening, he made the photo he took his phone background for his home screen, purposely not making it his lock screen.

He didn't want anyone to have easy access the photo if they glanced at his phone. It was his picture after all, no one else's. He should have free reign over his picture and it's his business alone.

Not because he was embarrassed, or that he felt the need to hide it, not at all. Simply because it was his property and he owned the picture. Definitely not because Tendo was starting to get to him. That's completely false.
...
'Ok. Maybe there's something wrong with me.' After getting home that evening, Tendo asked how his studying went, and Ushijima made the absolutely terrible decision of telling him about their picture.

After being pressured for days into showing it to him, Tendo went on a rampant rant on how he was finally realising his crush on Hana. Despite denying it time and time again, Ushijima knew that deep down he was lying to himself. And he just kept ignoring every sign thrown his way.

He enjoyed spending time with her, and she was a mature and dignified person to talk to. She was so passionate about the things important to her, and fully believed in her own abilities, which he deeply related to.

Of course there was no way in hell he would tell Tendo about it. Not in a million years. But he kept it to himself, hopefully aiming to ignore it until the voice went away.

Thats was he planned to do. If he was to act upon it, he would bother Hana, and that's the last thing he wanted to do. She just seemed too far away in that aspect.

Not to mention Hana was already a difficult person to get close to. He felt that he had gotten so far with her already, to want more would be selfish. So he left it alone.

Ushijima walked into his classroom, immediately ambushed by his friends.
"There he is! The charmer himself, Wakatoshi!" Tendo yelled. Eita grinned and placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Finally you made a move, we've been waiting for this for so long Ushijima." He said.

Ushijima brushed past them, ignoring their hype. He sat down and got out his books.
"If you're talking about Hana, I did not 'make a move' on her. All I did was ask for a photo. That's completely normal. It's what friends do." He huffed.

Despite his usual tone, Ushijima did feel a little annoyed that Tendo told Eita about the photo. And if he told one person, chances are he told a lot more on top of that.
"Oh yeah, 'friends'," Tendo grinned. "Since when do friends lend each other jackets, walk to cafes alone together or study alone in a big empty house? Hmm?" He sighed angrily, trying to fight his case.

"Giving someone a jacket if they're cold is completely normal, we only walked to the cafe together because there was no one else to bring her, and we weren't alone in her house because her mother was there." He spat.

"Yeah I bet you wish she wasn't there Ushiwaka. You coulda done all sorts of stuff if she wasn't..." Tendo giggled. They both smirked at Ushijima and he stood up from his seat, Tendo's reality finally clicking with him.

"That's enough, don't be so ridiculous Tendo. It's disrespectful." Tendo shrugged, still smiling. Ushijima had a vein bulging on his neck, threatening to burst with anymore provoking. Suddenly the door slid opened and a figure appeared from outside.

"Hey Toshi, I need your view on this." Hana spoke, looking down at a pile of papers in her hand.

Immediately, Ushijima's angry demeanour dissipated and he became much more calm, his eyes softening and his vibe relaxing. Eita and Tendo smirked to each other at his sudden and most obvious change for the entrance of Hana.

She shuffled around the room and settled by his desk. She greeted Tendo and Eita and Ushijima stood up to look at the papers she held.

"The team coordinator for Aoba Josai's volleyball team finally got back to us about the potential practise match we wanted to set up. They've accepted, but there's still some loose ends, like which school it's going to be held at, the precise date, among other things." Ushijima nodded every so often, paying attention to all the points she had written down on the sheet.

"I think we should hold it at our school, since last time it was at theres. As for the date, if it's possible, I think it should be in a couple weeks, just to get enough preparation time. I'm sure they'd agree." He stated. Hana thought he sounded so professional when he was talking as a captain.

"Yeah, I agree. That should be alright. Thanks Toshi. I'll run this sheet by the coach and get in touch with Aoba Josai. Oh, and remember, the next study session is tomorrow. Don't forget ok?" He nodded, keeping quiet about the fact that he was more than ready for the next session. In fact, one could say he was counting down the days in the wait for the next time they'd study together.

"I won't. See you at practise." He replied. 'It would be nice if she could throw me a few to spike. She's never really assisted me alone before..'
"Oh right, I won't be at practise today," She remembered. Ushijima's eyes widened, and quickly went back to normal, not wanting anyone to notice how disappointed he was.

"I already told coach that I won't be there. I have dentist appointment today and I need to leave early. Anyways, see you guys later."

He nodded again and waved her off, watching her leave the classroom. His gaze lingered on the door for a moment, like he thought she might come back and stay a bit longer. Both Eita and Tendo slung an arm around Ushijima.

"Just friends huh? I call bullshit dude, it's so painfully obvious that you have a crush on her. You're normally the most faceless guy ever. Hana's the only one you'll smile for. It's not like it's a bad thing, you guys are good together." Eita admitted.

Ushijima's face slightly flushed at the thought of their compatibility, but he quickly closed his eyes and lowered his head.
"It's none of your business. And I don't have a crush on her." He uttered.

"Whatever Wakatoshi. All you gotta know is that you most certainly do, and you're definitely aware of it, and it's painfully obvious that you're disappointed that Hana isn't coming to practise today. Periodt." Tendo listed, and the two both separated to their desks as the school bell rang and their teacher walked in. 'Could it be?... is Tendo... a psychic? I hid it so well too...' Ushijima thought in bewilderment.
—————————————————————
A/N: It really is just Robert Pattinson's world and we're all living in it