Chapter 8

I wake up alone once again. Also, as usual, I feel exhausted. I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm pretty sure it's been days, but I'm not getting better. I still can't remember the accident, and I still can't remember anything about how to get home.

I lie there for a while, just thinking. I don't know what to do. Getting home feels like the only option. I can't stay here forever. 

Sighing, I roll over. This is getting scary. Kanato has been nothing but nice to me, but I'm starting to get nervous. I don't want to be here anymore. I know he's been kind, and yet, I can't help but get the feeling that something is way too wrong. There's too much here that's not normal, especially how my body is refusing to get better. 

When I open my eyes, though, someone is in the room.

Another boy is standing near the bed, right in front of me. This one is slender and weirdly pretty, with auburn hair and the same vivid green eyes as Ayato. 

I squeak and pull the covers up over me more. I'm becoming increasingly aware of the fact that I'm in a nightgown and nothing more. I still don't know where my clothes went, and that's a thought that's also starting to scare me. 

"Hello there~" the boy says. "I was wondering when you'd wake up and notice me."

"H-How long have you been here?" I whimper. 

"Not too long. I just wanted to check on my dear brother's guest. I heard that you were recovering, so I came to... express my sympathy. It must be awfully hard for you to be stuck here so suddenly..." The boy gives me a smile that doesn't look quite genuine. Even though he seems as friendly as can be it doesn't go up to his eyes. 

"Ah, um, th-thank you. I'm just resting, so I'm alright. Uh... how long have I been here?"

"I don't know," the boy says. "Kanato didn't tell us exactly when you arrived, so I'm not sure. All I know is that you were sleeping for quite a while."

I feel a shiver run through me. Kanato didn't say anything? Why would he keep me a secret from his brothers?

"O-Oh... That's... something. Um, may I ask what your name is?"

"Laito, dear. Kanato, Ayato, and I are triplets, so we're very close."

Looking into Laito's eyes, I don't get the feeling that he's lying. Something about what he's saying feels wrong, but I can't place it. I don't know what's going on here, and that's scaring me more than anything. My head feels clearer than it has before. 

"Why am I so tired?" I blurt out. I can't help it. It feels like Laito might have the answers to something. And I need whatever answers I can get. "Every time I wake up, my body is exhausted. I can barely move. And I'm never awake for more than a few minutes before I have to sleep again. This isn't normal. I don't know why I'm not getting better!"

"Mmm... I can't give you any real answer to that," Laito says. "Just pay attention, okay? I'm sure you'll figure something out if you're nice and alert. A pretty little thing like you would be very happy here, but I bet you want to go home, hm?"

"Yes," I say in a tone that's almost a sob. "I'm getting scared."

Not a moment after I say that, the door opens and Kanato steps into the room.

As soon as he sees Laito, his eyes narrow. 

"What are you doing here?" he asks in a cold voice. "Why are you in my room, Laito? And why are you bothering Rosalie? She's trying to rest!"

"She wants to be awake," Laito chuckles. "You should help her with that, Kanato. Your guest is getting anxious. Remember to put her mind at ease." There's something cryptic about what he says, something that makes my whole body feel cold. Laito is implying something, but it doesn't make any sense at all.

"Get out," Kanato snaps. "You're upsetting her. You need to leave, now."

Laito just smiles, waves at me, and walks out the door. I'm left alone with Kanato.

"I'm sorry about that, Rosalie. I don't know why he decided to sneak in here and make you so uncomfortable." Kanato sits down on the bed beside me. He has a tray of food once again, complete with another mug of what looks like hot chocolate. 

"H-He wasn't--"

"Of course he was. You don't need to be hearing those kinds of scary things. You need to be focusing on resting and getting better, not fussing over what my stupid brother says."

I bite my lip. How do I explain why I'm so frightened?

"K-Kanato," I start, "I'm n-not scared because of Laito. I'm not getting better. I don't know how long I've been here. All I do is sleep, and I don't know what's happening. My mom has to be worrying about me. I want to go home."

Kanato stays quiet. He stares at me with eyes that look more dead than I'd realized before. I can't tell if he's unhappy with me or just thinking, and that only serves to make my panic spike. I'm so confused, and Kanato's behavior is only leaving me more lost. Why can't he just tell me what I want to know?

"Rosalie, I won't say this again. You need to rest. Don't question these things. Your head is scrambled right now, and none of it will make sense. Eat what I brought you and go back to sleep. You'll be better off that way." 

His voice is cold. My eyes widen and I suck in a breath. This doesn't sound like the Kanato I'm used to. 

"B-But--"

Kanato picks up the fork from the tray he brought and slices off a bit of what looks like cooked fish in sauce. He brings it to my mouth. 

"Eat."

I think I'm about to cry. I don't know what to do. He's trying to help me, I know he is, but there's something wrong. My hands clutch at the blankets on Kanato's bed. There's nothing I can do but listen to him for now. 

I open my mouth obediently.