Prologue

"When did you know that P'Tine is your soulmate?" Phukong asked his brother, laying on his brother's bed while staring at the ceiling.

"You just know it," Sarawat answered, strumming his guitar.

"...how?"

"Before thinking of meeting your soulmate, just focus on turning 18 soon. Your birthday is next week, right? You'll get your Soul Mark by then," his older brother adviced, giving him a firm look. "And besides, you don't have to find your soulmate. You'll meet them eventually."

His eyes unconsciously traveled to his older brother's hidden collarbone where his Soul Mark is located. Just when Sarawat turned 18, he met his soulmate on a concert a few weeks after he got his Soul Mark. They both have a similar interest in music.

"A soulmate is someone who was made from the same star as you."

He always heard that from people around him --- from his parents, from his brother, from his friends.

Phukong never really understood what that meant but there is something exciting in knowing that there is someone out there who was made from the same star as him and is solely for him, someone the universe chose to be with him.

He always loved the idea of soulmates. He has always been looking forward to meeting his soulmate. He wanted to have that special connection his mother had told him about when he was younger.

"I want to meet my soulmate, P," he shared, smiling.

He felt a gaze on him. He looked at his brother who was giving him a look he can't decipher.

"You really love the idea of soulmates, don't you?" Sarawat asked, voice low.

Phukong nodded. "I do."

"Are you excited to have your Soul Mark?"

Once again, Phukong nodded with a small hum of affirmation.

"But don't you think the world is cruel?" Sarawat asked, his hand unconsciously moved on its own to feel his left collarbone where his Soul Mark is tattooed.

"...why?"

"You'll always have that burden of knowing what your soulmates last words to you. The only question is when they will say it." Sarawat huffed out a breath, disbelieving but amused. "Sadistic, isn't it?"

"I just think it is a price," Phukong said, looking at the ceiling. "A price we have to pay for having to know the one destined for us."

"... a price."

"The burden of knowing your soulmate's last words might be very heavy, but you have your soulmate with you --- someone who has your last words tattooed as well."

Silence engulfed the siblings. The silence is heavy, full of questions and thoughts for one another.

"Are you burdened with P'Tine's last words?" Phukong asked quietly, voice almost a whisper as he glanced at Sarawat.

"Ask that question to yourself once you get your Soul Mark, Phukong."