Chapter 10 - Burning the Phoenix

“Jack!” Tooth shouted, rushing to the sleeping boy. North laughed joyously and followed after her with Sandy. Only Bunny was left with Tai M. Keeper.

“I do hope that you will one day be able to get over this,” Tai M. Keeper stated, not taking his eyes off of the other guardians. “I know how traumatizing it can be to have to go through something like that.”

“How would you know?” Pitch asked. “You live by yourself and you only make contact with others when you have to. What would you know about seeing what I have seen? Feeling what I have felt?”

“It is my duty to feel that way.” He finally turned his eyes to Bunny. “Do you honestly think that there was no one who I was close to before? I had a family and friends before I became what I am. Even after becoming Grandfather Time, I had a few who were close to my heart. But I have a duty and must protect the peace and order of the world.”

Bunny said nothing.

“I have, on many occasions, seen things like that, and even worse, if you can believe it,” Tai M. Keeper continued. “It is an emotionally toiling job, but I must remain bias as to what I must do and what was be done. History is only meant to be written one way and no one should ever attempt to change that.”

“Have many?” Bunny asked. “Have many tried to change history? Like what Pitch tried to do?”

“People have always wanted to control what cannot be their’s.” Tai M. Keeper patted Bunny on the shoulder. “But that is why there are people like us; to stop their attempts and protect those whom need it.”

“I just wish that he didn’t have to die like that,” Bunny huffed. “He had so much life left. He had a little sister and a family. Why must he die just so others can live without fear?”

“Have you ever heard of phoenixes?” Tai M. Keeper threw some of his sand towards one of his mirrors. An image appeared in it of a bird of many colors. It was lean and tall, twisted its petite head from side to side in order to ruffle its own bright feathers. “They are legendary birds that humans claim to live for a thousand years. But, after its lifespan is coming to a closure,” the image of the bird saddened was engulfed in flames, “it turns to ash.”

“Why are you bringing this up?” Bunny asked. “Jack isn’t really one for fire.”

“Look closely at what shall arise from the ash.” Bunny was gently pushed towards the mirror.

A small chick popped its head out of the ash, letting out a series of chatters and squeaks as it got use to its new voice. Bunny couldn’t help but crack a small smile at the sight of the newborn in the mirror. He and Tai M. Keeper said nothing to one another as they continued to watch the illusion.

“Jack!” North’s voice boomed joyously. “Glad to see you avake.”

Bunny’s head snapped in the direction of the others. His eyes locked onto the form of Jack, who was now sitting up with the help of Tooth. His skin was still pale, but now it was the proper shade for the winter spirit. Jack grinned at everyone in turn before glancing at Bunny.

“What?” he called out to Bunny. “Is the Kangaroo too busy planning the next seven Easters to even bother with the likes of me?” Jack then stuck his tongue out at him playfully. Bunny smirked in response and made his way over.

Tai M. Keeper remained where he was, staring into the mirror. “Sometimes the phoenix must burn,” he muttered as he waved his hand at the mirror, erasing the image.

“I almost miss it when you were quiet, you show pony,” Bunny muttered, not meaning a word of it, as he held out his hand to Jack. With a smirk of his own, Jack accepted it and the Guardian of Hope pulled him up.

(That was the last installment. I'm glad that I was able to write my first fanfiction to a completion and ecstatic that so many people enjoyed it. I am mulling over making a sequel, but I don't have the details planned out for it, or even really a story line. For now, this is the end of this story, but who knows what the future shall hold...)