II

-----------------

"The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you're not going to stay where you are."

- J.P. Morgan

-----------------

Your POV

I watched the man carefully as he continued.

"This school is not a place to fool around. It is an institute of magic. You ungrateful gremlins are lucky enough to be here, so don't make us regret admitting you." His eyes narrowed as he scanned each new student's face. I exchanged a glance with Hyunjin, both of our eyes glinting with mischief.

We turned back to the man as he continued. "With that said, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is JYP. I'm the headmaster of the school."

His steely gaze swept over the audience. I narrowed my eyes with a smirk, studying him carefully.

He was a well-kept, middle-aged man. His thinning black hair was slicked back and his hair was one small step away from appearing crusty. His hands were clasped behind his back and his chin was pointed up. He stood straight and tall.

"Natus is unlike any school you've ever attended. Of this, I'm sure," he said. "Thus, we expect you to respect and adhere to our rules."

Right.

He continued talking about boring introduction stuff for ten minutes before he finally moved on.

"Now everybody please look at the paper under your seat for your dorm assignments," he said, making me frown. Under our seats?

I blindly reached my hand under my seat, feeling around until I grabbed a piece of paper. My eyebrows rose in surprise as I read it.

Choi Y/n

Dorm #174

I glanced over at Hyunjin's paper.

Hwang Hyunjin

Dorm #129

Felix held up his paper for me to see, showing his name and his dorm number, which was the same as Hyunjin's.

I smiled as the two celebrated being roomed together. They were cut off by a voice ringing out through the room.

"The first number of your dorm number is the level if the building you're on," JYP explained. "The second is based on which gender you are. If you're female, you have an odd number and your dorm will be in the West wing. The opposite for males."

"Wait so you two are gonna be on the other side of the building?" I asked.

Hyunjin grimaced. "It seems so."

I sighed with a hint of frustration. "That's not optimal."

"Hey! You still have your roommate," Felix said cheerfully.

"Each dorm will support three students," JYP said.

"Roommates," I corrected. I leaned back in the chair.

My eyes trailed over the rest of the audience. I wondered which of the girls would be my roommates.

"My point still stands," Felix said.

I shrugged. "That's assuming I like my roommates and they like me."

"Wait, Felix, we're going to have another roommate," Hyunjin blurted out. His eyes had widened and his lips were parted slightly as he looked at his friend.

Felix grinned. "Another friend!"

I smiled at his optimism. It was pure and everything I needed at that point.

--

I stared at the door of my dorm. My eyes traced over the golden plate on the front that held the number 174. The gold perfectly contrasted with the polished wood that made up the rest of the door.

I pushed the door open and walked through cautiously, searching for any sign of my roommates.

I was greeted by a large room that was definitely way bigger than I had thought it would be. The room was divided into thirds: a living room, dining room, and kitchen.

A kitchen? In a school dorm?

I was startled by a crash from my left. I glanced over to see a hallway and a girl running towards me. She slid on the floor to stop in front of me.

I stood in stunned silence. She said, "Hi! I'm Heejin, one of your roommates!"

I glanced back at the hallway and frowned. "What was that sound?"

"Don't worry. That was just Hyunjin."

"Hyunjin?" I asked, startled.

She nodded. Another girl emerged from the hallway, grumbling lowly. When she spotted me, a grimace made its way to her face.

When she was finally in front of me, she stuck out a hand and said, "Hey. I'm Kim Hyunjin."

I nodded. "Choi Y/n."

I shook her hand and smiled at her strong grip. The edges of her lips tilted up as she let go of my hand.

I glanced down the hall and asked, "Is my room down there too?"

Hyunjin nodded. "You were the last here so you get the only room left. It's the middle one."

I thanked her and stepped into the hallway. Unlike the rest of the university, the dorms were fairly simple. The floor was wooden and the walls were standard, painted off-white.

I stopped in front of the middle door as Hyunjin had instructed. It was, like the rest of the dorm, almost painfully plain. It was wooden and covered in a white coat of paint. The doorknob was brassy and worn from its years of duty.

I opened the door and surveyed the small room. The only contents were a desk, chair, bed, and my suitcase. The bed was shoved into the far right corner, headboard against the far wall, with the desk in the far left corner with its back facing the left wall.

My eyebrows raised. This was quite a contrast from the outside, where everything was pristine and detailed. I walked to where my suitcase was. Then I turned back towards the door to spot a closet hidden next to the door.

I quickly unpacked. My small amount of possessions looked weak in the closet. I returned to the main room. My roommates were lounging in the kitchen and looked up when I walked in.

"So. You guys made friends yet?" I asked as I slid in front of them.

"We have each other," Heejin said.

I waited for them to continue but they didn't say anything else. I raised an eyebrow. "Come on, then."

I stood up and headed to the door.

"Where?" Hyunjin said, frowning.

"I'm introducing you guys to my friends."