Prolouge

I started to clean the cave called the guesthouse that the love of my life had been staying. She didn't know she was the love of my life and doubt she felt the same. I had wanted to go with her but they would eventually be going to the animal kingdom and I was banished.

Which was fine by me, too many ridiculous rules and too many other creatures. Here in the Watertribe territory I could hunt whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and there was no fear of accidentally killing another dragon.

I know the princess of the Watertribe thought of me as another one of her slaves. She was spoiled rotten, had no humility, and wasn't respected throughout her supposed kingdom. But that was none of my concern. She might rule the ocean but I was here on land. The only reason I followed her orders was out of gratitude for her mother.

Queen Cascade was the oldest dragons in the land and she was the first one to allow animal dragons to live in her territory, which is why I came here in the first place. She had a whole tribe full of my kin, the ones who decided they would rather be their chosen animal than a dragon.

That was the problems with animal dragons. We almost always preferred to be our chosen animal, there wasn't much point in having a dragon form except for to communicate with other dragons. Even I stayed in my fox form unless I needed to talk to someone new. Otherwise queen Cascade or Princess Adira would speak to me inside my head. Animal dragons were incapable of telepathy, so I couldn't ever respond, but somehow they always knew I followed their commands.

But now, Queen Cascade was dying. She had been for the past year now. I had heard from the other animals rumors that she could no longer leave her cave because she was so weak, and that these were her final days.

My heart had sank when I heard the news, but the large light dragon that had been here had somehow lifted my spirits.

I was not a social dragon. I hated being around other dragons, I preferred to keep to myself. But the light dragon had been... Kind, and caring. Gentle. And very, very talkative. I had never seen a dragon talk so much, even when I lived with other dragons.

At first it had been very annoying, but as the days flew by I found myself enjoying her company and sharing some of my life with her. She had only been gone an hour or so and I already missed her terribly.

Crystal, one day I will come for you.