The Repeat (Chapter 1 part 1)

"I just had a terrible nightmare..." Merlin spoke to himself, waking up at eleven on the dot. What he couldn't ever predict, was hearing the floorboards creek in Gaius's room, even though he could hear Gaius snoring as usual. Frowning, he got out of bed and made it look like there was someone in the bed while hiding in a trapped floor board that he had put in last year just in case. Just as he closed the door, he spied through the floor to see a man in a black cloak with a box. The whole scene had "evil" written all over. Even though Merlin was half asleep and his eyes and head hurt really badly, he was fully focused on what was in that container.

The man let the beast, slug, whatever it was Merlin had no clue, loose onto the bed without touching it. The man, not thinking to check twice, grinned in satisfaction and closed the box and left without a word closing the door behind him. Merlin let out a breath he hadn't realised he had been holding. The events from the dream were slowly coming back to him in a way that a normal person, without magic, wouldn't have been able to do.

Merlin was terrified. Did the dream actually happen? Or was it another nightmare? Or perhaps... With the crystal cave... Could it be another prediction? What Merlin needed to focus on now was getting that creature off his bed without it attaching itself to him. But Merlin had an idea about that.

An hour later and the creature was dead. Merlin made sure there was no evidence it had been there and even so he changed the sheets on his bed and cleaned them all till it was five in the morning. He would tell Gaius about it later but right now he was struggling to stay awake. So, Merlin stumbled back into his room and collapsed on the bedroom floor, mouth open and drooling.

Not even two hours later, there was loud knocking on the door.

"Merlin! The King needs you!" Merlin stirred and groaned rubbing his forehead at the voice of Sir Leon. He sighed. "I'll be right there!" Merlin called back and used his magic to grab his different set of clothes for today and his blue scarf instead of his red. He then opened the door and saw Gaius wasn't there and his medical kit wasn't there either. It didn't take much to know that something had happened. An attack, perhaps. Morgana. Was his last thought and he rushed into the corridor with a frown on his face as there were knights injured with Gaius bandaging one knight as he walked up to the old man.

"Gaius, I have to tell you something -" Gaius looked up and shook his head,

"I need your help right now, Merlin. There's been an attack. Stawell." Gaius responded clearly stressed and Merlin was going to argue but decided against it. Whatever that creature was, he would figure out later.

"Morgana" Merlin didn't even question and Gaius nodded. "Most definitely. Help me with the wounded. Standing around feeling sorry isn't going to help."

Merlin nodded once and went to the nearest knight to help. Half an hour or so later Merlin wasn't helping one villager who made it out alive with Gwaine over seeing him. But Merlin knew that Gwaine was only interested in the girl.

"Don't worry, Merlin knows what he is doing" Gwaine spoke and Merlin tried not to make a comment or raise his eyebrows so he thought it best not to look in Gwaine's direction. He had changed a lot since they first met and Merlin wasn't sure if he liked it or not.

"What happened to my family? The village?" She asked and Merlin finished putting the bandage on her leg as Gwaine stepped closer to her.

"I'm sorry, Eira. They didn't make it. You're the only one who survived." Which, Merlin thought was very suspicious. Especially with the look that Eira was giving him. Perhaps...

"I'm going to say something I should have always said. Thank you, Merlin. I want you to never stop being you..."

Merlin's throat hitched and a tear fell down his cheek. Sniffing, he quickly wiped the tear and stood, earning a concern yet annoyed look from Gwaine and yet another strange look from Eira.

"I.. The meeting." It was all Merlin could say as he hurried in the direction of the Hall. He stopped outside and closed his eyes, breathing heavily. What was that, why is he remembering the nightmare?! Why was it making him feel like this? Why was he so concerned and... Hurt. Like a person he loved was taken from him. Like... Freya but this hit a lot deeper. He recognised that voice. Knew it from anywhere, but why couldn't he place it?

"Merlin! This isn't the time for sleeping," Gwen's voice shook him from his thoughts and he opened his eyes to find Arthur, Gwen, Gwaine and the rest of the knights of the round table staring at him. Some with worried looks, some with a tired expression and one with a look he didn't recognise. Merlin stood up straight.

"Sorry, my lady" He knew he didn't sound like his old self but as he glanced longer at Arthur, he suddenly realised why he recognised the voice. Merlin suddenly went pale and felt like he was going to be sick. This nightmare... It better just be a nightmare.

"Merlin? You don't look so good. You alright, mate?" Elyan asked and Merlin smiled a very unconvincing smile. "Never been better. Let's get this meeting done with" Merlin said as he entered the room and he had a cough, and Merlin paused in his steps turning around realising he should have waited for knights first.

A lot of them had amused expressions and even Arthur didn't seem too angry. "I give the orders, remember?" Arthur questioned and Merlin nodded scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

The knights were soon seated and the meeting was in progress. It was decided that they wouldn't let Morgana be near Camelot at all. Instead, they would meet at Camlann. Merlin didn't feel very good about this. Not at all.

He shivered, something was happening. It was as if... The Great Dragon... Aithusa...

"Merlin, I need to talk to you"

Arthur's voice shook him out of his thoughts and he blinked a few times. The meeting had ended and it was just him and Arthur. Something that hadn't happened in a long, long time. Gwen got that pleasure. Merlin started to walk out, "Sorry Sire, I'll leave you."

"No."

Merlin stopped and turned, frowning. Arthur walked up to him and put a supportive hand on his shoulder. "What's worrying you, Merlin? That you cheated last night? Or it's finally war? Either way, you've never been... Pale, cold. Quiet. Not yourself." Arthur's voice was quiet and full of worry that Merlin was touched by. If Arthur knew of his dream, would it change anything? Merlin thought quickly and decided what was the harm?

"I had a nightmare last night. I... You were dying in my arms." Merlin whispered and Arthur seemed to not know what to do. His hand still on Merlin's shoulder, he looked down to the ground. Apparently, speechless.

"Where were we?" He questioned after a few minutes. Merlin thought for a minute and his eyes looking into Arthur's, frightened. "The Isle of the blessed was in the distance..."

Arthur was breathing heavily. "I was in your arms. There's no one else that I'd like that to happen with." Merlin opened his mouth in shock and disbelief, while Arthur brought him into a hug. "I trust you'll be by my side the whole time. At the battle."

Merlin nodded, his eyes full of water. "I will, Sire. I'll protect you. Like I always have." He whispered in Arthur's ear and Arthur chuckled, patting him on the back.

"Let's go and plan the route. Don't ever be afraid to be yourself." Clearly the fact that they were at war was making Arthur be a lot kinder than he lets show. Merlin nodded and was walking side by side with Arthur thinking that that was how they should be.

Author's note: Part 2 of Chapter One will be following soon.