Jealousy

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to Meimei minariri22 and sawyerdavenport (my fave authornim in the BinJin fandom) - thank you for allowing me to write you girls into the story!
————————————————————————

Sitting across each other at a table in the open study area, was a pair of very close friends.

Excitedly waving a hand to get Hyun Bin's attention, Yejin said, "The other day..you were saying you had troubles with the mitosis chapter, right?"

"Ahhh that one, yes."

"Well, I got that figured out! I can explain it to you if you're still trying to figure that out-" She continued, holding her biology notebook up.

"Umm...not any more actually, Areum helped me with that when we stayed back for biology consultation with Mr. Koo. It's really impressive how fast she understood the theories, and applied them so well to problem-solving."

"Oh...okay."

Awkwardly, Yejin put her notebook back down, not truly understanding why she was feeling somewhat..bothered.

The thing about Areum is...she's really bubbly and pretty, in the sweet, charming way.

She isn't the intimidating, no-nonsense Students' Council president.

Areum is also in Hyun Bin's class, which is the streamed class for students who are inclined towards the hard sciences.

She also happens to be really, really good at biology.

So much so that she has represented Spackman High at provincial level biology contests.

She surely didn't score 55% on her quizzes and ran away to the park to cry, Yejin thought bitterly.

It wasn't as if Yejin disliked Areum. On the contrary, she really liked that brainy, bubbly girl. They had gotten along great when they were classmates in their first year.

But somehow, the thought of Hyun Bin sitting beside Areum, going through biology notes together...that just felt wrong.

Willing herself to ignore the nagging feelings, Yejin tried to focus on her notes.

A few minutes went by, and the council president pushed her notes slightly forward in her close friend's direction.

"So..this question here...'which of the following would occur in humans if meiosis produced diploid gametes?' I'm not too sure about this one..."

Brows knitted in concentration, Hyun Bin read the question before his facial expression visibly relaxed.

"Oh, I know this one. It should be 'the number of chromosomes in subsequent generations would increase exponentially'. Areum explained this to me, she said diploid gametes would combine to form an organism that contains twice as many chromosomes as the parent."

Areum again.