Chapter 44: Longing for you

I sat down on my desk and played a record. I took a piece of paper out and my favorite pen. I took a deep breath and began writing.

" Dear Steve.

Honey, I know you've only been gone for a few weeks, but to me it already feels like an eternity. Every second without you feels like days.

Every hour without you feels like a year. I miss the sound of your voice, your smile, your gentle touch. When I struggle to fall asleep at night, I just hug your pillow and it soothes me instantly.

I also like to imagine your arms around my waist as we're stargazing.

Only then do I feel less lonely without you. Know that you're always in my dreams because I never stop thinking about you even in my sleep.

Even though I miss you and worry about you, I want you to know how proud I am of you and for the sacrifice you're making for our country.

You're the bravest and the strongest person I've ever met and I love you so much! Don't ever forget that.

Everyone here is doing just fine. And your mom, she's doing fine too. I've gone by her house to check in every day. Sometimes we go out and take a cup of tea. Meredith and I have been going to school every day, I still keep the promise I made for you alive. Everyday I live, I do it for you. For us. Because I know one day you'll be back here with me. And until then, I'll work hard to make you proud. Just like I'm proud of you. Words can't begin to describe how much I love and miss you.

I hope you know that I'm always with you. Every minute of every day. My soul is with you. I still haven't washed that shirt you left on the bed the day before you left because it smells like you. Every night I feel alone, I simply put it on and imagine laying next to you on your chest. Somehow, I'm alive still. I'm longing for you and I can't wait until I have you in my arms again.

Love, Elena"

At the end of the letter, I grabbed my red lipstick and put it on my lips. I grabbed the letter and kissed the bottom of it. I folded it and placed it inside the envelope. I sealed the envelope and walked outside. Placing it inside the mailbox. The wind brushed against arms. I hugged myself as I walked inside the house.

I walked into my room and layed in the bed. I grabbed the teddy bear he gave me on Valentine's Day and hugged it. Squeezing it. All of a sudden, the bear started talking.

"Hey Elena, it's Steve, but I guess you already knew that." He chuckled. "I'm gonna miss you so much. And I hope you'll miss me too. I love you so much. And this time I'm gonna be away will hurt so much. I hope that god will give me the chance to come back and marry you. Start a family with you. That's all I want. Uh- I have to go now, but I love you."

I cried at the sound of his voice. God I missed it.

I squeezed the bear again. The message played again. I sighed.l and closed my eyes. I got a thought in my head. I stood up and wiped my tears. I rushed downstairs to my dads library. My mom was there. I  walked in since the door was opened.

"Daddy. Do you remember that piece of land you put to my name?" I asked. They both looked at me. My dad nodded.

"I want to build a house there. And in that house, I wanna live with Steve."