• • • 𝐼𝑐ℎ 𝑏𝑖𝑛 𝐴𝑢𝑠𝑙𝑎̈𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟 • • •

(Chapter One)

(Chapter One)

Snowflakes danced their way down from the monotone sky, blanketing the scenery, mounding against the window seal and the far-spread streetlamps. Pass the fogged windowpane, Lilah watched on with a sad gaze.

𝑽𝒂𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒔 𝑫𝒂𝒚, 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒍, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑰 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒅𝒐𝒏❜𝒕 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒏𝒐𝒘.

-She wrote softly in her journal.

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒔𝒆, 𝑰 𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔 𝒄𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒃𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔.

In the background, Lilah's host family, the Eisenmann's, laced up their boots and put on their thick coats, ready to head out the door. Tucking away her journal in her bag, Lilah swathed around her neck a yellow scarf and zipped up her cozy jacket. For a month, Lilah had been staying with the Eisenmann's, living in Brandenburg's state capital, Potsdam. On the weekends, they visited tourist attractions and historical places. Though it grew to be a bit exhausting for Lilah, she enjoyed the most of it, loving the knowledge and ancestry behind it all. Today was no different.

"We're going to Berlin, did you pack your gloves?" Rudi, the eldest son, asked.

'Of course, I'll put them on when we get there.'

The youngest child was too busy distracting Lilah, and Lilah was too confident to bother with checking. Since Lilah's arrival, she and the siblings grew quite close. Rudi was a year younger than herself, and his sister, Gisela, had turned seven last week. They were sweet and well-mannered. Overall the family couldn't have been better for Lilah, making her feel at home despite being so far away from it.

The car ride was short, Potsdam being nearly right outside Berlin's door. Lilah was ecstatic.

𝑭𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒂𝒇𝒂𝒓 𝒊𝒕 𝒔𝒆𝒆𝒎𝒔 𝒔𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒖𝒑 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒊𝒕❜𝒔 𝒂 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒌 𝒐𝒇 𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒂𝒍 𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆-- 𝑰 𝒅𝒐𝒏❜𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒎𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒂 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒍𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒔𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒑𝒊𝒄𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔

Scribbling in her journal as they walked down the street, Lilah happily hummed to herself. They visited many stores along the way and explored a slice of Berlin's history on the way back. Snow began to dance its way to the ground again as time struck 6 pm, and the majority of shops and stores had long since been closed.

Lilah was too busy writing the events of her day down, and it wasn't 'til she bumped into someone, did she realize where she was.

Lilah looked around, her host family nowhere in sight. The night grew colder, every chill and gust nipping at her exposed hands and face. Down the streets and alleys, Lilah searched high and low for the Eisenmann's.

'Mama! Vati!'

She called and called until her voice grew hoarse from the dry winter air. Thinking she may have gotten farther away from them, Lilah retraced her steps. Tears pooled Lilah's eyes, but she pushed through the coldness.

Ahead of her, a man waited for a chance to cross the street. Lilah lost her footing, slipping on the iced sidewalk.

₁'Pass auf!'

The man barely had the time to look, but strong arms subconsciously clutched onto Lilah as they both collided to the freezing concrete.

His voice was mild yet concerned, ₂"Alles okay?"

Lilah apologized, taking his outstretched hand. She could barely feel it was there, the tingling sensation of numbness growing more and more uncomfortable. Wiping her eyes, Lilah told him everything.

"Do you live here in Berlin?" He picked up the yellow scarf, handing it over.

'No, we-- we live in Potsdam.'

The man pressed further, "Do you know their phone number?"

₃'Natürlich!'

He guided her down the street, finally able to cross as he intended.

𝑰 𝒎𝒆𝒕 𝒂 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔. 𝑯𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒂 𝒑𝒂𝒚𝒑𝒉𝒐𝒏𝒆.

------ ------ ------

𝟷 - Lookout! (Pass auf!)

𝟸 - You okay/is everything okay? (Alles okay?)

𝟹 - Of course! (Natürlich!)

•Fancy font = Lilah's Journal entry
Italicized font = Speaking in German