Chapter Three

*Beep...beep...beep* There was a constant beeping coming from beside me, I knew that.  I also registered the bright light above me which was seeping through my eyelids.I slowly opened my eyes to reveal a white room.  I’m still in the hospital?  I shuddered at the thought.  “Charlie?”  I turned my head to the side, blinking rapidly.  “How’s your side?”  Drake asked me, from the chair he had put beside my bed.  As if he had magically predicted it, my side started to throb.  “Fine.”  I lied, my voice still groggy from lack of use.  “I’ll go get a nurse.”  He smiled slightly while walking towards the door.  The door never closed, and I could hear them talking.  “Yes, I’ve got it right here.”  The female nurse walked in with some medication along with a doctor.  “Hello, Charolette.  How are you feeling?”  Oh, just wonderful, I thought to myself.  “It’s Charlie...and ok, I guess.”  He read over a couple of things on the clipboard that was tucked under his arm.  “Alright, Charlie, can you tell me where you are?”  I didn’t hit my head, idiot.  “Glenwood hospital.”  He smiled, brightly.  “Good, now what day is it?”  “Friday, March 23.”  He raised an eyebrow at me, before writing something down.  “Charlie, you were asleep for a few days.  You had a little bit of an allergic reaction to the anesthetic we gave you.”  I looked over at Drake for confirmation, and in response he nodded.  “Where are my parents?”  The doctor looked over at Drake, who then gave me a sad smile.  “You’re dad had to go to LA for something, and your mom went with him.  I called, and he said that he wanted you to call him when you woke up.”  I nodded as he placed my phone in my hands.  “I’ll leave you two alone for a while, just ring if you need anything.”  I slowly dialed my dad’s number by heart, and put the phone up to my ear.  It rang a few times before I heard my dad’s voice on the other end.  “Charlie, are you ok?!”  I laughed at my dad’s rushed voice.  “Yeah, I’m fine, dad.”  He sighed on the other end.  “I was so worried.  I contacted those boy’s father, and I can assure you that they will be punished for this.”  He said the last part with venom in his voice.  “Dad, no!  Do you know what kind of rumors are going to be spread around school now?”  He paused.  “Look, I’m sorry-”  “No, just...it’s fine.  Never mind, it’s ok, just forget I said anything.”  One thing I’m not good at; getting in fights with my dad.  It’s like I couldn’t stand to see him unhappy.  “I’m sorry, princess.  Listen, I’m about to go into a meeting so I’ll call you tonight, alright?”  I smiled at the fact that he was still the same worrying dad, even if he was really busy.  “Ok, love you.  Tell mom I love her too.”  “Will do, love you too.”  I hung up, and looked back over at Drake.  I studied his face carefully for a minute.  His eyes had dark bags under them, and the color looked like it had been drained out of his face.  “You look like you haven’t gotten any sleep.”  He laughed slightly.  “I’m alright, you need to focus on getting better.”  I nodded and counted the ceiling tiles.  “So, what did they do to me while I was out?”  I continued to stare at the ceiling.  “They said you have two fractured ribs, and broke your tibia.  You’ll have to stay here for two days, then we can go home and you’re on bed rest until next week when you’ll get a wheelchair.”  Oh, great!  I’ll be stuck in a chair until who knows when.  “Ok.”  Six popsicles, and an ‘I Love Lucy’ marathon later, it was finally time for bed...well, I was supposed to go to bed, but could you blame me for not being tired?  After all, I did sleep for three days.  A little nurse walked in who looked a bit like a twelve year old with some glasses.  “Sir, visiting hours are over.”  He stood up, and fumbled around in his pocket.  Of course, he was a good three feet taller than her, so her face was as pale as it could be.  He finally pulled his hand out to reveal his ‘Protection Specialist’ badge.  She swallowed, and nodded once before running out of the room.  “Poor girl, you scared her half to death!”  I could understand why, Drake can look very threatening if needed.  He smiled sheepishly while sitting down in the chair beside me.  “Are you tired?”  I shook my head, wishing that I were.  “Want to play that 20 questions game?”  I laughed slightly at his silly idea.  “That’s so cheesy...and besides that, you look like you haven’t slept in two days.”  He shrugged.  “I’m fine.  Now do you want to ask first, or me?”  “Fine, I will.  Favorite color?”  That was the first question that popped into my head.  “Red.  Where’s one place you want to visit?”  “Paris.”  I didn’t even hesitate on the answer, it was somewhere I’ve wanted to go since I was little.  “I want to go there too, Paris is a cool place.  Now, your turn to ask me.”  Another question popped into my head, but I wasn’t sure if I should ask it.  I opened my mouth, then closed it again, slightly resembling a fish.  “What is it?”  Drake saw that I was stand-offish about my question.  “I don’t know if I should ask...”  “Go ahead, but...I get to ask you a personal question too.”  I weighed my options, and decided to go for it.  It’s not like he could force it out of me.  “Why did it look like you were about to cry when you were carrying me in here?”  He let out a big sigh, but held eye contact with me.  “My younger sister was hit by a drunk driver when she was eight.  When I was carrying you into the hospital, it just reminded me of that time.”  I gasped.  It really made me think twice about my hatred for this new bodyguard of mine.