CHAPTER 2: THE GIRL

That girl from earlier, now that I think about it. She does have the physical description of what the varsity team is looking for. She has brown hair, and those dazzling eyes of hers- Wait, why am I thinking of her right now? And I slammed my face with my palm, digging my head down the table afterwards.

"What are you doing?" Leron whispered to my ears, and I shook my head slightly in response.

"Mr. Samson? Are you ok?" Leron nudged me, as our Chemistry professor called my attention. "Yes sir, I'm sorry," I lifted my head up and replied and he intensely stared at me before continuing the lectures.

"What's up with you earlier?" Leron asked as the bell rang and all of the students had already left the room. "I don't know. I just have something in my mind."

"Is it a girl?" He looked at me with both of his eyebrows lifting up. "What's that look? You're creepy," I brushed him off and started to unlock my lockers as he leaned next to me with the same expression in his face.

"Ok! Maybe- I don't know," I shrugged and he giggled, mocking me. "What's up with that tone?" And he bursted out laughing as I told him, "I can't even gather my thoughts."

"Oh that's definitely a girl," he persisted and followed me down the halls. "Stop following me, wtf. Isn't there something you need to do or something?"

"I won't stop following you, boy. Unless you say that it was a girl that's on your mind," he stopped me by the corner before the back exit to the school's tracking field.

"Ok. It's a girl. Now what?" I annoyingly pushed the door open and there I saw a girl being ganged up by a couple of guys. "Let's take the other way around," Leron pulled up as we stumbled upon that sight. But for some reason I couldn't get my eyes off the girl. She looks familiar. And her hair, it's- Her! So I rushed towards them raising a voice.

"What's going on? Stop!" And the boys took a step back as I held the girl in my arms. There were three guys standing across the girl. "Who the fuck are you now? Are you one of those retards?" One of the guys who wore a silver chain on his neck stepped up and the two guys nodded as they studied me. One had a blue shirt on, while the guy next to him wore a varsity jacket and a print of the school's logo printed on the right side of the jacket. These guys are definitely on the varsity team.

"What's going on here? Why are you taking so long?" A manly voice spoke from their backs. And it was Gabe who walked between them boys as they made a little space for him to pass through.

"Fuck Naths. What are you doing?" Leron forcefully tried to pull me away from the girl. "Let's just go and pretend nothing happened," he continued, cold sweating beside me.

"Leron?" Gabe said in a confused tone, and Leron nervously laughed. "Oh Gabe, I'm sorry for my friend over here. He's very stupid and fucking retarded," Leron said to Gabe as he panickingly grabbed my arm, and I shook him off.

"No! What do you think you're doing with this girl?" I stirred up any courage in my chest and I faced him. His face was perplexed and he chuckled afterwards. "You're feisty. I like you," he wagged his index finger at me and the guys behind him laughed in pity for me. I'm gonna get beaten so bad here, but fuck it. I just can't leave someone like this. I don't know what's gotten into me for rushing towards this situation without properly thinking about it. I'm not like this at all. I was drenched in sweat, and my lungs were filled with tremendous fear that overwhelmed my body, making me unable to move from my spot. I couldn't even draw my fists at them. I'm frozen solid in front of them. And in this state, I'm just bracing myself from getting punched right on my face.

"We're wasting time. Let's go," Gabe said as he turned his back at me. "Just go get her next time. I have practice," he then walked out on us without glancing back at us. And the guys who were initially on his back followed him.