Letters

It was the 4th of May when it all began.
Arleigh Granger slowly let her eyelids open as her blue eyes adjusted to the sudden light of the morning, her lips gripped into a smile once she remembered what day it was. She quickly stood up, brushing a lock of her light brown hair behind her ear. Leigh softly yawned and then noticed the note near her desk.
The girl sprinted to it and immediately recognized the writing of her father, his handwriting had always been hideous.
Happy birthday my love! The big 11!!!
-ded
Arleigh grinned at how clumsy and in a rush her father might've been to actually spell dad wrong.
It was a sunny Saturday morning, which meant that both her and her older sister didn't have to attend that hellhole of a school.
Leigh sighed and finally made her way to her parents' bedroom, where she thought her mother would've been. She was wrong however.
"Mum?" She called out and walked to the kitchen
"In here, honey" spoke her mum's voice from the living room.
The kid walked to the room and brightly smiled once she saw some of her close relatives there as well.
"Happy birthday!" They all shouted in unison and she chuckled
Her beloved cousin rushed to her and pulled her into a long embrace. The two girls loved one another as if they were actually sisters, more like twins since they were the same age.
Her uncle and aunt followed suit after their daughter and hugged their niece. Then it was her grandparents' turn and finally her mother's and sister's, who was strangely enough awake.
"Thank you, truly" Arleigh replied
The group then seated at the table in the dining room and her mum made the birthday girl reach for the mail.
A letter in particular caught Hermione's eyes and silently gasped, sharing a look with her mother knowingly.
Leigh flipped through the mails and finally got sight of the one letter for her.
The handwriting looked ancient and was green.
To: Arleigh Granger
Address: Oxford street, 6
She hummed and began reading what was written inside, eyes widening the more she read.
"What's wrong, Ar?" Worried Aislynn, her sister
"There must be a mistake..I-I.." the youngest muttered and Hermione approached her, rubbing her back.
"What is it, Leigh?" Spoke her mother and got the letter from her shaky hands.
The woman locked eyes with her husband's brother, acknowledging that her niece was about to attend that specific school as well.
"It's ok, baby" she smiled, "I know it sounds..well, strange and impossible. But, Leigh, I've seen that you do things that none of us can sometimes"
Arleigh couldn't believe it, she had always daydreamed about having powers and she had also noticed how weird things happened to her. Once she made her glass shatter because she was having a breakdown.
"I'm going there too, Leigh" continued Hermione, "we are going to be fine together"
The just found out witch shyly grinned and felt revealed that her cousins was going to be there, even though she wished her sister was too. Leigh nodded and the family happily began eating, knowing that the following day they had to go shopping.

As Hermione knocked on the door of Arleigh's bedroom, she let out a sigh and let her cousin in.
"Ready for shopping?" Smirked the elder witch
"I guess, I still don't understand why we have to get our stuff now though" pointed out Leigh, "I mean, it's the beginning of May and school starts in September"
Hermione giggled and popped on the chair, "we need to go there prepared, Leigh. I mean, we can't just enter without knowing about the building!"
Arleigh ran an hand through her light brown hair frustratedly and quickly wore her black glasses, since she couldn't actually see without them. Then she adjusted her jeans and T-shirt and the duo headed out.
Once they finally reached Diagon Alley, where all of the shops for wizards and witches were.
Arleigh's eyes wandered around as a chuckle escaped her lips, it felt so good and even surreal. She couldn't stop smiling and was beyond happy to have received that one letter the day before. Hermione's hand grabbed ahold of her cousin's wrist and dragged her inside the shop of wands.
An old man, blue eyed and white haired, appeared opposite them, grinning gently.
"Hello, kids" he spoke, "what can I do for you?"
"We'd like to get ourselves a wand each, please" smiled as well Hermione
"Very good then"
Olivander made his way around the building, looking for the two perfect wands for the two girls awaiting.
"Hawthorn wood with a Phoenix feather core, 12 1/2 and slightly yielding flexibility" he exclaimed as he handed a wand to Arleigh, who softly held it.
The newbie witch inhaled and exhaled, then she slightly shook her hand which held the wand. Her little movement organized a few wands that were lying on the desk in front of her; right after that, wind came strong into her features and she grinned
"Thank you" she chuckled
"It is always a pleasure to help new students" Olivander nodded
After getting her wand as well, Hermione dragged Arleigh in an animal store. There were owls mostly, a few cats, bats and toads.
While the brown eyed witch chose a ginger cat, Leigh opted for a beautiful owl. She had always admired their being that free, capable of flying around whenever they felt like it. Her owl was sort of creepy, since its eyes were a deep bloodied red, and was dark brown with a few spots lighter. Her mind wandered around, thinking about a name for her new friend and she didn't even hear her cousin shouting her name.
"Arleigh!" She exclaimed again and the other finally glanced at her
"Yes, lovely and absolutely not annoying cousin" smirked Leigh and Hermione rolled her eyes
"We can leave now, if you want to"
"Yes, please"
The duo chuckled slightly and then they went separate ways, back to their respective houses.